Saturday, September 19, 2009

Being on the Other Side of the Insurance Fence

I used to work in healthcare as a provider.
We had great insurance and our first baby cost us a $20 copay. (which is amazing considering the fact that we had upwards of 15 ultrasounds and weekly non-stress testing the last ten weeks!)

When we moved to Utah, I didn't have insurance at my job and so we went on my husband's for the first time. It cost more, and I had to go downtown for healthcare rather than to the hospital two blocks away. Our second baby cost $2000. But we still felt lucky, especially when we averaged out the two births.

Then we had to quit that job and come to Arkansas. My husband has a good job and is going to school but since we moved the week of the Lehman Brother's collapse, the best job he could find at the time was a temp job. His job wants to keep him forever but they're like everyone else and are on a hiring freeze but they can keep him as a temp. So we're stuck! I work part time which means no insurance in this state (apparently what we had in Minnesota was a rarity?)

We pay an exorbitant amount each month for health insurance and our girls are on Medicaid. We have thought about us going without for a time but I have a tricky medical history so that's not smart with someone like me.

It's so strange being on the other side of the fence. I used to provide healthcare and now I don't have easy access to it. Even as a provider, I could see the obvious problems. I would have a high income family come in with insurance and not pay a dime for my services. Then a no-insurance family would come in be charged a huge fee for the same services which they usually couldn't pay for! It is so backward! I never understood why that family couldn't pay the medicare writeoff rather than what we actually charged the insurance (a huge difference!)

My cousin yesterday was complaining that she didn't want to pay for everyone else's insurance in a government plan and they should all just go out and get jobs. I don't think she had a clue how insulting and harsh she sounded to me and probably others out there. She pays taxes and therefore for education when she doesn't have kids, doesn't she?

I don't know the solution.
I have tried to educate myself but I get very lost and confused.
I know there is a huge problem with healthcare.
I know we need a solution.
I wish change came easier but it just doesn't!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I hear you! I'm a health care provider too, and yet I'm the only one in my family with good insurance. Because my husband is self-employed, and because I chose to go part-time when I had my daughter, I lost benefits for my husband and daughter. We pay ALOT of money for them to only have major medical coverage, so we still pay for appointments and things out of pocket.

I definitely think there is some abuse of government assistance, which of course bothers me, being that I work and pay taxes. However, I believe that everyone should have a right to equal health care. Why should someone have poor health care because they are self-employed, or because their company doesn't offer it? It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years....

Linz said...

Very interesting to read yours and Stephanie's experiences. You've seen this issue from so many different perspectives.

kristi said...

As long as we don't have socialized medicine. This is just one of many examples I have heard, but my parents just connected with an old mission buddy of theirs that lives in Canada. He has been on disability for over a year and needs to have a consultation with a neurologist. The 1st available appointment for him is May 2010. I don't know about anyone else, but that is pretty darn scary. I have a chronic illness and situations like that worry the heck out of me. Lets just say, I am NOT all about socialized medicine.

kristi said...

Something I forgot to put with my previouse comment....
Now, I know that I have heard that socialized medicine is not what is being pushed. However, why would employers keep their private insurance plans if the government is offering a public insurance? Personally, I love my health insurance and the fact that I can get into see a doctor pretty much immediately when it is medically necessary for me is very important to me. Trust me, I have been in the situation with having no health insurance and in the situation where our insurance has cost us a truck load, but I am still completely terrified of the thought of socialized medicine.

Liz said...

I understand that fear, but I also really worry about people like you and me, Kristi.
My nephew is "uninsurable". He is not even three years old!!!!! He got RSV when he was an infant and it has resulted in mild Asthma that acts up in the winter. Because of that, he has been denied insurance. The best part of this is that his parents are both full-time workers whose insurance plans should have guaranteed him coverage. His did is a police officer for heaven's sake but they won't insure his child!
I have a pre-existing condition and a weird rocky medical history that scares insurance companies to death! It's a struggle to get more than minimal coverage so that I can get my Thyroid medication.

So, ultimately, I think anything is better than what we have now! I think the idea is that companies will keep private insurance because private insurance will hopefully respond and drive down their costs as well and become more competitive iwth a public option. At least that's how I understand it.

Personally, I have never wanted to move to Massachusetts more! They require insurance and so the insurance companies have responded with more affordable care and those who don't comply are taxed.

kristi said...

That is just unbelieveable. I can't believe that your nephew can't get insurance. They must have really horrible coverage because our policy never asked us anything about previous health problems, that I am aware of at least. I too have a preexisting condition and I have been very blessed to not have to worry about it. Appartently with our policy it doesn't matter. Thank goodness.

Has your brother and sister tried to get your nephew medicaid or something. I know that in MI if a child doesn't have insurance there are a couple different programs you could sign him up for. Have they looked at the options for their state. I am sure they have, but it is just a thought.

I hope you are right that private insurances will still be used :)

Liz said...

They "make too much" to get Medicaid. It's a crying shame and being so close to situations like our family's and theirs have really opened our eyes to the changes that are needed!