Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tots and Tithing

This year at tithing settlement, our branch president encouraged us to start having our three year old pay tithing, even if it was just a dime here and there. We actually hadn't even started giving her an allowance, or money for doing chores or anything yet. We put money in her savings account, but she hasn't really been a part of it. So, last night for FHE we talked about tithing, then decorated a money jar by covering it in paper and coloring it, and adding ribbon and embellishments. (I was too cheap to buy a piggy bank, and I figured this way we had an activity to go with FHE!)

Anyway, to illustrate the concept of 10 percent, I gave her 10 dimes and then had her put one in a tithing envelope. But since then, I've been trying to figure out how it will actually work when I give her money from here on out. If I give her a random quarter for doing a chore, I can't really have her pay 2.5 cents in her tithing envelope. And it's not realistic that I'll always have ten dimes or ten pennies on me. Plus, I want to make it as simple as possible for a three year old, without having her make change, etc. Should we just wait til she has a few dollars saved, then pay tithing? For those of you that have started doing this, what works for you?

4 comments:

The Schacher Family said...

Wow she seems young to try and do tithing. We don't give Cedric any money right now either. It seems weird to start paying them just to have them be able to pay tithing. My suggestion would be just have her save her money and then once a month or so pull out the money and figure out the tithing! I think that would work the best! When she is older you can teach her more in depth about paying tithing before anything else.

Jen L said...

We give MM 10 pennies for tithing. Not attached to any chore, yet, but just because it's the beginning of the month and that's what we do. We don't attach the money to anything by saying "here's because you've been so good" or anything like that. We just say, here are 10 pennies and it's time to pay tithing. She puts one in the envelope and the other 9 in her piggy bank. They obviously have no concept of money, so we figured 10 cents was great for her. When she gets older, then we'll attach it to something, but for now we just want her to get into the habit so we can start building faith.

Liz said...

wow! my little one turns four next month and we hadn't thought of starting paying with her yet!

katie said...

Hadn't crossed my mind, but I love Jen's idea of giving 10 pennies every month. There isn't really any need to be paying Reagan for anything yet, but just teaching her the concept is a great idea.