Wednesday, March 17, 2010

There's a kid in my bed!!!

Ok so my 3 year old son sleeps in my bed. He falls asleep in my bed and then I move him to his bed. In the middle of the night he comes back into my bed. It actually doesn't really bother me that much but it really irritates my husband. He has started making lots of comments about it and so i think I need to train him to sleep all night in his own bed. We have tried talking to him about it and even bribed him but he doesn't care. Tonight I told him I would buy him the Toy Story lego set he wants if he sleeps in his own bed all night tonight and he said, "no thats not a good idea. Listen, I sleep in your bed and then get a toy." He just won't have it! I need help. Someone please have ideas or things that have worked for them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie said...

Sorry, but my answer is going to be tough love, and remember who's in charge! We've gone through spurts with my daughter with this. We've never let her fall asleep in our bed, but at times she crawls in bed with us in the middle of the night. I don't mind if it's because of a bad dream, but we don't let her form habits. I've found that it only takes a couple of nights to reverse the habit, but you do have to be prepared to have a couple of nights of rough/little sleep. Once you put your foot down, no going back on your word even though it's tempting at 3 am when you're exhausted!

When my daughter is upset because we won't let her stay in our bed, I just gently but firmly take her back to her bed, sing her a song, rub her back for a few minutes, and leave her with a hug and a kiss. I think you'll be surprised to see that the tears don't last very long. They're tired too!

I would start with prepping your son for a couple of days, and just telling him how it's going to be. Don't ask him if it's ok, or even bribe him. Just tell him it's the new rule! And when he does sleep in his own bed, praise the heck out of him, and tell him what a big boy he is!

Natalie said...

We just went through this with our three year old. It all started happening at once. We would take him back to his bed over and over and finally decided to reverse the lock on his door. It has worked miracles. He'll get up, realize he can't get out and go back to bed. He doesn't cry or anything. When he does cry, I of course get up and help him, but this is the only thing that worked for us. Good luck! It's hard for sure.

Edwin Rucci said...

I have the same prom. with my 17 months daughter!