Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Time Out for Women: Hope

Have any of you been to a Time Out for Women?

They're put on by Deseret Book and it's like EFY or Youth Conference for Mom's. I have wanted to go to one for a while and missed several opportunities, so when it came to a town three hours away, my sister in law and I packed up and had a girl's weekend!! It was wonderful and I highly recommend it!

I wanted to share one of the talks that really struck a chord with me. I have been really struggling with patient parenting with my four year old. I went to this conference with a prayer that I would hear something that would help me. It came from the speaker who I didn't expect or know anything about and is now my favorite!! Read more about Emily Watts here.

She spoke about "mother hopes". First, she joked about the things we should just give up hope on right now!!
1. sleeping through the night ever again!
2. being in charge!
3. having something nice of your own that the kids won't destroy!

Then she spoke of the "mother hopes" that she hoped we would never give up on:
1. The hope that your children can progress. That one day, they will learn, grow and improve. The years fly by even if the days don't.
2. The hope that this work that we are engaged in is WORTH it! She encouraged us to have faith not just in the doctrine of motherhood but that it applies to ME!
3. The hope that someone who is smarter than you and a better parent than you is ready to help right now! Heavenly Father's help comes just in time! He knows how to parent perfectly!

I was so touched by her humor and her devotion to motherhood that I just wanted to share with you the thoughts that have given me a bit more hope lately.

1 comment:

The Schacher Family said...

I just attended time out for woman in Indiana with my Mom and sisters and loved it! It was great to hear all the wonderful speakers and have a spiritual uplift and a reminder that we are doing our best and can have hope in things! I recommend going if you haven't.