Monday, June 1, 2009

Spotlight Member - Heidi's Answers


Basics

1. What is your age and physical description?
42, I'm short, blue eyed, dark blond/light brown hair, freckled (that sounds so much better than blotchy) complexion, not thin (that sounds so much better than overweight), usually smiling.

2. Where were you born and where are you now?
I was born in Missoula, MT and now live in Alabama. I've also lived in AZ, ID, UT, NH, and OR

3. What do you do for a living?
I am a full time, stay-at-home mom. Before I married I was the Registrar at Utah State University.

4. What is your favorite and least favorite color?
Favorite: Red
Least? I honestly don't have a color I don't like.

5. Did you go to college and get a degree, If so, where & what?
Yes. I got a BS from Utah State University and an MA from Montana State University (both in History - I studied American History, especially Black History).

6. How many children do you have? How old are they?
One - she is 2. We'd like to have a bigger family but I'm a little old for that (but not necessarily too old) so we're interested to see how our family will grow.

7. What’s your favorite and least favorite food?
I love Indian food and Thai food and Italian food.
I HATE, HATE, HATE all kinds of seafood/fish. YUCKO!

8. Are you right or left handed?
Right

9. Do you play any instruments?
None well but I took Violin and Piano lessons when I was a kid. I still play the piano a bit but the violin playing never made it past the painful scratching-sound phase.

10. What are your hobbies?
I love to cook, sew, crochet, blog, find ways to teach my daughter, support my husband in his art and music, and serve in the YW program.

Make You Think...

11. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Shirley Temple. If I was younger I would have wanted to win American Idol (but it didn't exist way back then).

12. What is your biggest fear?
Not living up to my divine mission/potential/worth.

13. Who has touched your life and influenced you the most and why?
"Most" is a huge word. Phil, my husband, has influenced me greatly. We are truly best friends and I've learned so much about faith and sacrifice and obedience from him. My mom has also been a huge influence on me. Both these people are always progressing, learning, becoming better and I think that is awesome.

14. If you could accomplish just one thing with your life, what would that be and why?
Live my life in a way that Heavenly Father is pleased with my contributions to His Kingdom. This includes being a good wife and mother as well as whatever else He has in store for me.

15. What is your worst habit and if you could quit it, would you?
Indulging my sweet tooth. Obviously I wouldn't because I could quit and I haven't.

16. Who would play you in the movie of your life? Who would play your husband?
I had no idea how to answer this and so I asked my husband and here is his answer:
Meg Ryan (me)
Tim Robbins (him)

17. What songs would make up the soundtrack of your life and why?
Currently the soundtrack of my life consists of lots of Primary music, Kids Stuff (by Voice Male - my husband's group), and Miss Melody's Sing Along. Why??? Because I have a two year old.

18. If you could meet any one person in history, who would it be, and why?
Jesus Christ - if I really only get one. I think the "why" is obvious. Aside from Him, I'd love to meet several Book of Mormon prophets, Abraham Lincoln, Susie King Taylor, Anna Julia Cooper, Charlotte Forten Grimke, Samuel Willard, Joan of Arc, Socrates, Zoroaster ... It isn't fair to ask a historian this question. These are all people I've studied and found fascinating and I'd love to really meet them and learn from them.

19. If you lost everything you have tomorrow, what three things would you save and why?
Computer - it has so much documentation on it.
Box of Historical Writings - I worked hard on those and I want to keep them.
Artwork - created by my husband because he worked hard on those and I want to keep them.

I'm sure I will think of a different list tomorrow though...

20. What is your favorite quote and why?
"In matters of preference, bend like the willow. In matters of principle, be firm as the oak." - attributed to Thomas Jefferson (although I haven't been able to verify that).
I just think this is good because so much of life is preference and we needn't get all fussy and rigid about it but when it comes to things that really are principle, we need to be willing to be uncompromising.

Just For Fun

21. Do you sleep with the closet door open or closed?
usually closed.

22. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Poor grammar, but I'm getting less peeved about that all the time (a toddler will do that for you).

23. Where are the top three places you'd like to travel to?
Greece, Israel, South Africa.

24. Do you ever dance for no reason even though there’s no music playing?
Definitely!

25. What size is your bed?
Queen.

26. What do you drink with dinner?
Water. Once in while we'll have "Kissing Juice" (which is generic Crystal Light with two flavors mixed making it tart and therefore creating a pucker - see, "kissing juice" - my dad made that name up).

27. What movies could you watch over and over and still love?
Most old time musicals, Princess Bride, Charade, One Fine Day.

28. What was the first concert you went to?
John Denver (don't think less of me)

29. What is on your perfect pizza?
It depends on the day. I love traditional pizzas like Hawaiian but I also like BBQ Chicken or Spinach Alfredo.

30. What's the most exotic place you've traveled to?
Probably Italy but Switzerland is a close second.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Amen to the wanting to win American Idol. The kid in me wants to as well. :) Also, one of my favorite CDs is John Denver sings Christmas Carols with the Muppets! I bet the muppets weren't at the concert that you went to too though... :)

It was fun getting to know you better! :)

Claire said...

Fun answers Heidi! And why would we think less of you for going to a John Denver concert? He's awesome!

katie said...

My family loves John Denver! I love your pet peeve - it is definitely one of mine, too! Thanks for sharing!

The Stump Clan said...

Seriously- John Denver is awesome!

highdeekay said...

Wow, I had no idea how many JD fans there are out there!

Bethany said...

I love your quote! I've never heard it before and it's suddenly become one of my favorites.

Amanda said...

You are awesome Heidi!!

Flavia said...

hi! super excited u r following me! will add u 2!