Thursday, May 20, 2010

traveling with toddlers

We are leaving in a week to visit some family and join my husband on a business trip, and it is going to involve a LOT of traveling in the car. Like 30-40 hours for the two week trip. I am borrowing my mother's portable DVD player and will check out some new library books and DVDs before we leave. However, I know my girls (2 and 3 years) will be bored out of their minds. What have you found to be helpful while traveling with little ones for long distances?

3 comments:

Linz said...

DVD players are truly so helpful! maybe some kid songs CDs. My kids are entertained for decently long periods of time by magna doodles. They prefer the full size ones with the shape magnets. I've heard those vtech handhelds are great. Could you borrow one from someone?

The Schacher Family said...

Cedric loves to play Dora. What we do is I will say something like, "first we have to go over the hill, around the corner, and then we will get to our house." So while going over the hill we sing a song, then solve a riddle, then something else. But it keeps him entertained and changes up the activities in the car. I also agree with the magna doodle idea. I would get some little toys from the dollar store and when they seem antsy pull one out. They usually entertain for a decent amount of time. Good luck! I am sure it will be fine!

Curt and Naomi said...

what about those window stickers? it would only work if the girls' car seats were by the windows.