Friday, July 3, 2009

Siblings Sharing Rooms?

I'm ready for my daughters to share a room. Mostly I think that my two year old gets pretty lonely at night...she's started asking me to sleep in her room with her or requesting to sleep in my room. Since neither of those is an option, I think I can compromise by moving my baby into her room. It was always the plan that the two share a room, I was just waiting for the baby to sleep thru the night. She's not there yet, but I think the girls are ready to share. I have a few questions though for people who's kids share a room: do you put one to bed first and then the other? If you don't put one to bed first, do they keep each other from going to sleep? Do they wake each other up at night/in the morning? One of my girls is 2 1/2 and the other is 8 months. I'm definitely thinking that they'll probably still need to stay apart at nap time, because that's much trickier..I'm just trying to figure out how sharing a room works (I can't remember back to the times when I was sharing a room with a sibling...). Anyway, any advice/tips/answers to my questions would be great! Thanks!
P.S. Happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

Liz said...

My girls just started sharing a room last month. They are 3 1/2 and 10 months. It has been an adjustment but a good one!
They don't nap well together yet because the 3 1/2 year old is kind of on her way out of napping (much to my deep sadness!) and so she disturbs my little one. I'm still trying to figure that one out. But they go to bed well together and at the same time at night. They sleep through the night and usually wake each other up in the morning. that being said, my toddler is up and my baby is still down this morning so they don't always wake and sleep at the same times.
We tried to put my baby down at my mom's last night to hang out with family longer and she didn't want to do it! I am wondering if she already knows that she likes sleeping with my toddler! She gets so excited for story and prayer time, so I think she loves being with big sister!

kristi said...

With my first 2 I was so worried about having them share a room. I was afraid that they would wake each other up, but in the end they transitioned so well that I wish that I hadn't waited so long to do it. Now, my baby was a little bit older than yours, I had a 1 year old and a almost 3 year old, but I don't know if that really matters. Is your baby in her own room or does she sleep in your room? If she is still in your room then, she might actually start sleeping through the night once she is out, you never know, heres to wishful thinking :) I say definitely give it a try. If it is a disaster you can always seperate them for a little bit longer.

Tiffany said...

Thanks guys! I took the plunge and its working great so far. I love siblings! they're so cute together!