Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cord Blood Banking

I've been curious about cord blood banking since I had my first girl in 2006.  It seemed like it might be a fad back then, but it's definitely still around.  I have read some but definitely not a ton.  I understand the benefits, but I also have always assumed it cost a ton to bank your child's cord blood.  In recent reading, I learned a few things.  It costs around $1500 up front to bank cord blood and about $100/year to keep it preserved.  However, I also learned that you can donate your child's cord blood to a public non-profit bank that anyone can benefit from.  We didn't bank baby #1's blood and there's this teeny part of my brain that thinks, someday she or her siblings will need it and we will be kicking ourselves that we didn't do this "insurance" if you will.  I'm pleased with the idea of donating it though so someone out there can use baby #2's if they need it.

I'm curious though.  Stem cells are a hot topic in politics and religion even.  How do you feel about cord blood banking?
Anyone have any personal experience with it? 
What do you feel the pros and cons are?
Would you do it if the money weren't a factor?   

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's interesting to know you can donate it-I like that idea too. We're kind of the same as you. We dismissed the idea with #1 because of the money, but ever since I've had those thoughts of "what if." What if my daughter gets sick someday, and banking her blood could have helped her? The prices you mentioned are definitely more affordable, although still probably a little out of reach for us right now. There are too many other things we need to spend the (what little) money we have on right now! In answer to your question though, I would definitely do it if money wasn't an option!

Linz said...

I would do it if money wasn't the option. I feel the same as Steph.

Thanks for educating me more on this.

Julianne said...

We live in TX, and we were blessed enough to deliver with #4 at a hospital that does it for free. What they do is it's like when you give blood--it goes to a big pool of people, but if your family later needs it you get the first priority since you donated it at one time. One thing to think about is usually you don't want your own childs cord blood anyways--a lot of time if something is wrong it's in the DNA of even the cord blood, such as certain types of leukemia. I know this is kind of a long post--but my point is, if it's free it's for me!! :-)