Monday, August 24, 2009

Burn-out

Lately my almost three year old and I have been having a rough time. She is going through a stage where she is especially defiant and is testing her boundaries to the max. I am working on having more patience, but sometimes I just feel like we battle each other half the day! Anyway, it's really having a negative effect on the whole family. I start out each day fresh with patience and a positive attitude. And by the time my husband gets home, I am ready to hand him the tot and run screaming to the next city. It's not fair for him to be greeted with this, especially because he has been pretty burnt out with work himself. Instead of coming home and relaxing, he comes home to a tense household, where we all feed off each other's grumpiness!

Help! What do you do when your kids are going through stages like this? How do you attempt to stay fresh and upbeat to greet your husbands at the end of the day? And how do you give yourselves a sanity break in the evening, without just dumping on your husband (who has also worked hard all day.) The other night I put on my ipod and attacked the mountain of dishes, while my husband watched our little girl. It actually felt like a treat to do dishes, since I got to escape eveything else going on for an hour or so. But it was better than actually just leaving for the evening, which wouldn't be fair to do every night. (But I'm telling you, these days I almost feel like it...)

2 comments:

Liz said...

prayer and seven o'clock bedtimes!

I have been going through the same thing and all I can say is my three year old is the best birth control I've ever been on! She is finding buttons to push on me that I didn't know I had!!! And my grumpiness has spread to my husband when he comes home.

I know that I worked a lot on how I say "no". Rather than "no" focusing on redirecting or distracting rather than a flat rejection and that has helped a bit.

I also have worked on letting go of things that just don't matter. I used to feel like if I gave in on anything, she would immediately see that I was being inconsistent which is an abominable sin in parenting, it seems! So, if she's throwing a fit for a popsicle before dinner, sometimes I'll just make her stop and ask nicely rather than making a big deal about her fit.

And running for the hills sometimes is good!!! that's where the 7pm bedtime has saved me! I put her to bed, the hubby is studying for his classes and I run to Target!

good luck!!

Linz said...

Washing the dishes is my escape too! hee hee!

I try really hard to be cheery when my hubby comes home but sometimes I don't have the energy to put on a mask. Usually right around that time the girls won't leave me alone in the kitchen and are not getting along (Don't you guys want to watch TV?!?!?!). I was in a parenting class and a Mom says that when her husband gets home, she gives him some time to be by himself. Frankly I thought that was crazy! Yes they've had a hard day, but a car ride alone should be enough alone time. I let my hubby change his clothes and then he takes over while dinner is getting put on the table. It works for us. Sometimes I feel the need to apologize for not being super chipper and he always seems to understand.

Does your toddler have a "currency"? Something you can take away that will get the point across? For mine it's dress-up shoes. I took some away for three days for biting little sis's fingers and we have had not had any violent behavior since.