Thursday, August 27, 2009

What to do re: flu season?

Our little girl is due at the very end of December, right in the thick of RSV and flu season. This year's flu season is predicted to be bad, and where we live so close to Mexico, the H1N1 (aka- Swine) flu is a particular threat. Both my in laws and Scott are being strongly encouraged through work to get flu shots, and Scott's work already has a plan in place for how to handle things should mass amounts of officers be out at once. Officers are already being told not to come in if they show signs of being sick, and that they will be sent home immediately if they do show up for work sick.

I've had a nurse strongly suggest that I not take our new baby (Eva) out and about during flu season. She recommended that I not even attend church. Normally (as in the one time I've had a baby!) I do not miss much church due to it. But I am really nervous about flu season so I'm contemplating keeping Eva in for at least the first month or two. But this brings me to my next issue... Eva and I avoiding church and public situations is one thing, but Cecelia is the one who seems to always get sick at church. During the winter, she is lucky to make it to church every other Sunday because she always gets sick on the in between weeks. :P Nursery is basically a big old pool of germs. So do I keep her home from church as well????

I hate the idea of missing church, but I am concerned about the health of both my girls, especially our new baby. What are your thoughts on this? I know we're blessed for being at church, but I also think its important to do what I can to keep my family healthy and safe. Opinions?

9 comments:

Liz said...

I believe that Heavenly Father totally understands keeping newborns at home at first!!!! My first was born in February and I kept her home for eight weeks. Then when we did go, she stayed in her carrier unless I was holding her-no one got to hold her until spring and even then, I asked them to wash their hands first. Of course she was my first so I was more paranoid but it was worth it, she didn't get sick. I think it is so much better to be safe than sorry. My second was born in August and I was much more relaxed and she got a cold at three weeks old! So I will go back to being overprotective and paranoid next time!

Especially with the particular H1N1 threat, I think it is so important to be overly cautious

Bethany said...

One of my sons was born at the end of Nov. in Ut. We were told about RSV. We decided to keep him home from church until the season ended. My husband and I took turns going to church. One would go to church while the other stayed home with the baby, then the next week we'd switch. We also kept the baby covered when we went to the grocery store.

Heather B said...

I think I would be pretty tempted to keep them both home, because you're right, those germs go around a lot in nursery. And once (or if) your toddler gets sick, it will be hard to stop her from touching the baby. I would highly recommend some Immunity Gummi Bears from Costco (or other vitamin stores) with extra C and Zinc...my kids and my nieces and nephews stay pretty healthy while eating 1-3 per day.

The Cairns Family said...

I am due the end of September with my second and was told with my first not to take her to public places for at least 6 weeks and plan to do the same for this baby. I will be keeping my 3 year old home too, because Nursery does seem to spread things even if my daughter doesn't get it (she has a great immune system) she could pass it to the baby, it really isn't worth the risk to me. I plan on taking time on Sunday's to do a little nursery time with her, lesson, play time and snack so she is still getting a "church" experience.

katie said...

Everyone seems to be on the same page here, the health of the kids comes first. I spend flu season mostly confined to my house every year because of Reagan. Last flu season I would normally only stay for sacrament meeting with her. She luckily never got sick, since no one was touching her and she wasn't sharing toys and snacks with other kids.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

We in our Primary are instituting a hand-washing thing...we're putting a bitghand-sanitizer bottle on the table so on the way in, the kids have the option to pump away some germs. It should help...

highdeekay said...

ok, here I go being the odd-girl-out but I took our little one to church the first week. She has a great immune system. She rarely gets sick - even with the nursery germ-fest. I am convinced that it is because I didn't "over-protect" her from germs. These little ones need "some" exposure to germs (especially while they have the benefit of your breast milk/immune system) so that they can build up an immune system of their own. I think it makes total sense to not allow anyone else to hold her but I, personally, would not hole up in my house for eight weeks.

Claire said...

Heidi, that is normally EXACTLY how I am. But the predictions this year have me very worried. I'm debating the idea of going to Sacrament meeting, of course, not letting ANYONE touch the new baby, then taking Cecelia, the baby and myself home for the rest of the meetings. Cecelia never got sick before she started going to nursery. And she hasn't been sick since flu season last year ended. Believe me, the idea of holing up in my house is giving me cabin fever already.... I'm hoping that the flu and RSV season won't be as horrible as predicted and we can go out in public, just taking lots of precautions.

Liz said...

I didn't get cabin fever because I didn't hole up in my house for eight weeks. I felt guilty like i was having a double standard, but honestly, people didn't come up to me in Target with my baby bundled safely in her carseat carrier or in my bjorn and just touch her like I got at church. and if they threatened to, I'd put my hand over the baby's to clearly but nicely mark my territory! :) So I got out and about every single day despite the Minnesota cold but still stayed away from church for a while.