Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stephanie's Spotlight

My daughter and I on a recent trip to UtahMy daughter didn't really cooprate for this one, but it's the most recent family pic I have!


Basics

1. What is your age and physical description? 26, around 5 ft, 5 1/2 inches, and average build I guess. I have dark blonde/light brown hair and blue-green eyes. I never get to say one word answers for those questions, wish it was more simple!

2. Where were you born and where are you now? I've lived in Michigan my whole life, kind of boring I guess. I grew up in a small town and traveled an hour away to attend college. I met my husband at school, and when we finished we stayed in MI. We've just never had a reason to venture farther away. We have jobs here, and our families are only an hour away!
3. What do you do for a living? I am a Neonatal nurse, and I work two nights a week in a NICU. Because I only work eight shifts a month, I am home quite a bit with my daughter as well, as a homemaker. Sometimes I struggle with insecurities, and worry what all the other SAHM's think of me at church. I always hope they don't think I am choosing career over my child, by working part time. But our situation calls for the extra income and health insurance, so I have learned to be grateful to have a job that is flexible, allows me to be home most of the time, and is something that I love and find rewarding.

4. What is your favorite and least favorite color? Favorite is yellow, though not to wear. I just like how cheery it is. Least-maybe gray?

5. Did you go to college and get a degree, If so, where & what? MSU, BSN

6. How many children do you have? How old are they? I have a daughter that is 2 1/2. We have struggled with secondary infertility for quite some time now...hopefully our family will be blessed with an addition sometime soon.

7. What’s your favorite and least favorite food? Pizza and Mexican food are my faves. I'm not too picky of an eater, but the first thing that came to mind was jello with carrots in it. YUCK!

8. Are you right or left handed? Right

9. Do you play any instruments? Not anymore. I played the saxophone throughout school. I wish I played the piano.

10. What are your hobbies? I love scrapbooking, and doing other crafty things that aren't too complicated. I'm not much of a sewer (yet). Also reading and outdoor exercise like running, biking, and tennis. I've always enjoyed shopping and getting a good deal, so lately I've gotten really into the couponing thing and tried to focus my energy on saving money instead of spending it!

Make You Think...

11. What did you want to be when you grew up? I've actually wanted to be a Mom and a Nurse for as long as I can remember, definitely since I was a young child. So score, I accomplished that!

12. What is your biggest fear? Something happening to my child...it makes my breath literally catch in my throat

13. Who has touched your life and influenced you the most and why? I know we're supposed to answer one specific person, but I feel like I carry around bits and pieces of a lot of people that together help influence me and mold me into the person I want to be. My mother, amazing friends, random mothers from church who were examples to me, home and visiting teachers, etc.

14. If you could accomplish just one thing with your life, what would that be and why? Same as everyone else, raising a family that is strong in the gospel. My lifetime personal goal is to have the kind of steadfast, immovable faith that allows me to face anything life throws at me without doubting, questioning, or complaining.

15. What is your worst habit and if you could quit it, would you? Rrrrghhh, you got me. I am quilty of getting caught up in gossip now and then. Part of working with a bunch of young, catty women. Yes, I am constantly trying to quit!

16. Who would play you in the movie of your life? Who would play your husband? This one's hard for me, I really don't know. Maybe Kate Hudson? Not because I look anything like her, but because I think she can be sweet but also pretty spunky and a little sarcastic. That's probably a bit like me! And maybe John Cusack for my husband? He has dark hair, and it seems like he always plays the nice guy...

17. What songs would make up the soundtrack of your life and why? My soundtrack would have the biggest variety of music you've ever heard. My ipod has everything from Kenny Chesney to Beyonce, with a little Josh Groban and a band from the 70's! I get bored listening to the same thing, so I'd have to say my life soundtrack would have to "keep it interesting" as well!

18. If you could meet any one person in history, who would it be, and why? I'd love to go back and meet some of my ancestors. My great great grandparents came over from Germany. My great grandparents were farmers who had 13 children. I love listening to the stories from my grandma's childhood. It always makes me realize that I am a bit of a whiner, and we don't realize how good we have it!

19. If you lost everything you have tomorrow, what three things would you save and why? You guys make me feel quilty with the whole "my scriptures" thing. Am I horrible for thinking I could just get more? Granted, I would miss all my markings. But it would be good motivation to start studying again! Aside from my family I would grab my scrapbooks, my safe with important documents and picture CD's etc, and an heirloom such as the rocking horse Mitch's grandpa made for Skyler.

20. What is your favorite quote and why? I love President Monson's motto "Find Joy in the Journey." And my favorite scripture has always been D&C 121:7-8, "Peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." I always try to keep in mind that this span of life is just a small speck in the eternal scheme of things. And that I need to enjoy this time and find happiness, instead of getting caught up in the small insignifcant things. I say try, because, well it's a work in progress!


Just For Fun

21. Do you sleep with the closet door open or closed? I guess I would prefer closed, because that would mean my room was clean. But in all honesty, it's probably usually open!

22. What is your biggest pet peeve? I have a lot unfortunately, but for some reason they aren't coming to mind. My husband does this thing that drives me CRAZY. Whenever he does dishes, he leaves the drain thing off, so that the sink gets clogged and I have to go fishing in disgusting filthy water and unclog the drain. I know, I know, at least he does dishes. Good thing I love that guy, I guess I'll let it slide!
23. Where are the top three places you'd like to travel to? Hawaii, Europe, and Australia

24. Do you ever dance for no reason even though there’s no music playing? Of course!

25. What size is your bed? Queen-it's perfect. A full wasn't enough space, but if we had a King my husband wouldn't cuddle with me at all!

26. What do you drink with dinner? Usually milk


27. What movies could you watch over and over and still love? How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, Just Like Heaven, Serendipity, The Family Man, Boys and Girls, A Walk to Remember, Elf


28. What was the first concert you went to? I think it was Backstreet Boys in high school. Embarassing! In my defense, it was for my younger sister who was completely smitten!

29. What is on your perfect pizza? Pepperoni and green olives, with a thick crust!

30. What's the most exotic place you've traveled to? I haven't done a lot of traveling. I went on a curise to the Bahamas with my family in high school, and a cruise to Mexico with my husband last year.

9 comments:

Linz said...

I love Stephanie!

That was fun to read. I wish you wouldn't worry about what other moms think of you in their ward because you work two nights a week. If anything, they probably secretly wish that they had an opportunity to do part-time work like that. Your ability to juggle your roles is amazing. You are always doing what's best for your family.

The Stump Clan said...

Ok- ditto exactly what Linz said- I would not worry about what other mothers are thinking- because I am sure it is all good things about you!

Tiffany said...

Backstreet boys aren't embarrassing!! :) Also, I love Just Like Heaven. :) And I agree with you about the scriptures in the fire thing. I always wondered if I were a bad person in not having that be one of my three too. :) It's fun getting to know you better!

Bethany said...

You sound like a fun person! I really like your life goal. I too agree with the scriptures being left behind, thats why I think it's a good idea to keep a small set in the emergency kit. That way it goes out the door with you.

Anonymous said...

I like your post and i want to be your friends & I want to link exchange with your blog. if you do not mind I hope you want to visit my blog at rakyatindonesia and my blog in english language at indo-online. & please leave your comment. if the difficulties in language, please use google to translate. thank's & good luck friends

Liz said...

i love reading these!

i work part-time as well and I think it makes me a better mom! i had an extra long maternity leave after my second and didn't go back to work until she was six months-I loved giving myself the break but I know that I need the break sometimes and the adult conversation to be a better mom to my girls. wear it proud! I think times are changing and while I someday hope to stay home full-time, there aren't many families that can afford to. Luckily, I have a flexible job like yours that allows me to be with my girls a lot!

Lindsey said...

Um, you forgot to mention your other real fear. B.A.T.S!!!

stacibee said...

SO fun getting to know you better! What a cute girl you are!

katie said...

Well I knew most of that already, but it makes me realize how much I'm glad we are such good friends! And ditto to the moms who might think bad of you for working. You were my lifesaver when you took care of Reagan in the NICU. I will always be grateful for that!