Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

I figured it is a Sugar and Spice tradition to mention some of our favorite talks from Conference, and since I have a busy week ahead and don't know when I'll be online again, I thought I'd just go ahead and start it! I first of all have to say that every General Conference I temporarily miss the days of when I actually got to savor every word of every talk, instead of desperately try to hear ANY talk in between taking care of a toddler! It's worth it though, and as we learned in many of the talks, raising a family is what it's all about! Obviously all the talks were wonderful, and were inspired. I was especially grateful for the ones by Elder Ballard and Sister Tanner that talked a lot about motherhood and the divinity of womanhood. I got really emotional when I realized during those talks, my responsibility to teach my precious daughter of HER divinity. I loved how Elder Ballard specifically said that there is no "right" way to be a mother, and that everyone's situation is different. It spoke straight to my heart. I also thought he gave a lot of great advice about not overscheduling our children or ourselves, and not wasting too much time with television, internet, etc. yet making sure we make time for ourselves as mothers too. Anyway, I made note of some talks that I would really like to hear again, due to a somewhat needy 18 mos. old, that I think my husband and I are going to listen to for the next few FHE's. Like I said, all the talks are inspired, and I enjoyed everything I heard. But what talks felt like they were given for you???

12 comments:

Claire said...

Elder Holland's talk was my favourite! His words were very inspiring to me, and made me want to do everything I can to be a better mother. I spent my afternoon just playing with Cecelia and enjoying being with her. It was so nice!!!

I also enjoyed hearing President Monson speak. He is such an amazing man. While living in Utah, I had the opportunity to meet him and have been even more in love with him since that day.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I definitely loved the talk for mothers of young children...I felt understood and loved and like the Lord was aware of the every day lives of mothers!

I also thought the mention of sexual abuse especial of children to be timely and sad. But good advice was given to help us avoid abusers, protect our children and offered hopefully help and comfort for victims.

Jen L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen L said...

Elder Ballard's talk was definitely my favorite!! As soon as he said he was speaking to young mothers I just wanted to jump up and shout "hallejuiah!" I went to conference with questions, and it was the last talk of the last session that I got them answered.

I also LOVED President Monson's talks!!! I saw the mantle fall! He has always told nice stories, and given great talks, but for the first time, I felt power and authority in his speech. I had a testimony that he is the prophet of the Lord before I heard him speak, but it was finally confirmed to my MIND as well as my heart. There is no doubt of his divine calling!

Tiffany said...

I really liked a lot of the talks...I LOVED Elder Ballard's talk, I liked Elder Holland's talk a lot too, and Elder Bednar's. I guess those are all from Sunday afternoon...but maybe that's b/c that was the one session that my daughter slept through the whole thing. :)

I just love conference though. I definitely agree about seeing the mantle fall on President Monson. I wish we could have seen him wiggle his ears like he did in priesthood session though! :) Also, I just loved how straightforward the talks were and how focused they were on the truths of the gospel. I felt like a lot focused on the Savior...and that's the way it should be. I'm so grateful to be a member of this church!

Linz said...

I'm confused...I listened to Elder Holland last night on my Tivo and I thought he spoke on the Book of Mormon as another testament.

Loved Elder Bednar's talk. I will try to keep this phrase with me: "Ask in faith, and ACT."

I loved hearing the MoTab Choir singing "He Sent His Son": my favorite primary song.

Stephanie said...

Oops Linz, that was my fault. We could only listen to Conference, not watch it, because of a slow internet connection. After reading everyone else's comments, I'm realizing I had Elder Ballard and Elder Holland confused. Embarassing! Sorry!

Stephanie said...

I just went back and changed it in my original post!

Linz said...

Steph--I'm the one who should be embarassed--I'm the one who missed Elder Ballard's talk! I just wanted to clarify because I'm interested in going back and hearing that one.

Claire said...

Just realized that I did the same thing as Stephanie! To clear things up... Elder Ballards talk was my favourite!! :D I did enjoy Elder Hollands talk also though!

Liz said...

Thank you Stephanie for sharing your thoughts on conference. I went back and watched Elder Ballard's talk this afternoon ( I had only caught glimpses of it on Sunday). I loved that he affirmed that there is no one right way to be a mother as long as you put your children and husband as a priority in your life. I also needed to hear the "enjoy the moments" part. On a day with a crabby teething baby, I needed to remember that the small moments could get me through any day.

Aubreydoll said...

I have to agree with everyone and say that Elder Ballard's talk was also my favorite! It had a lot to do with the fact that it was one of the few that I had a chance to listen to because I was busy with my motherly duties for a lot of the other talks! Like Jocelyn (and, I'm sure, all the rest of you!),I love feeling understood, appreciated, and just loved for the things that we do everyday that get taken for granted by so many people.

And I totally have to agree with Tiffany in wanting to see President Monson wiggle his ears! That was the first thing my husband told me about when he got home!