Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Creative toddler parties on a budget

I have really only hosted two toddler parties, but I have found that I really love putting them on. I like the challenge of creating a fun party while not spending very much money. I’m not an expert, but this is a new interest of mine.

There are many great ways to put on a party. This is how I like to go about planning a party:

1. If possible, give yourself a month or two to start your brain churning about your upcoming party whether it’s for a birthday, another holiday, or just for fun. This will give you plenty of time to brainstorm ideas for games, food, etc. It’s also nice to have lots of time so that any work you might put into it is not put off until the night before. Another benefit of thinking ahead is that you if you see like a really inexpensive party favor or something else that is perfectly fitting for your party for super cheap, and you are still weeks away from party time, you can snatch it up. You’ve found a bargain, and you’ve taken one thing off your to-do list for the party.

2. My favorite part is to CHOOSE A THEME and run with it. Like I said, I’ve only done two toddler parties. My first was my 2 year olds’ “My Favorite Things” party. Every detail of the party revolved around one of her favorite things. As a result, she had a blast. Her friends did too. Party #2 was a Valentine’s party; The theme is pretty obvious there. Choosing a theme gives you the opportunity to start your creative juices flowing. The best way to choose is to think about the birthday boy/girl; What does he/she love? For a specific holiday like Halloween, Christmas, etc. , the theme is already there for you, now you just have to consider the ages of the kids attending: What would they love to do? On party day, there is nothing like seeing a bunch of happy and excited kids who are thoroughly enjoying themselves because you have thought about what would be most fun for THEM. If you are having a hard time thinking of a theme, check out parent-type magazines or consider this list: space, safari, camping, princess, ocean, bugs, trains, pajamas, water fun, cars, backwards, farm, luau.

3. I think a big money-saver for parties is to have it at your home. If you want to do a lot of kind of contained activities where it’s easy to rein kids in and introduce each game/activity, your home is the best place to do it. Public parks are great places for parties too, but unless you have a megaphone, it is a little more challenging to do planned activities. I usually don’t go for that simply because we go to parks with friends for random play on a regular basis so that wouldn’t necessarily be a special thing. I had birthday parties at home even when I was an older child and I always had fun. It is so much cheaper than taking everyone to the movies or to some kind of party place. Plus it’s more personable and people get to know you better when they are in your home.

4. How can you avoid overspending on food? The best tip for this is to plan a party not around a meal time and just serve fun snacks. I’ve done lunch and it’s fun but it’s definitely extra work. To keep it inexpensive, I made everything myself, and party eve or morning of the party, that can be a bit stressful. If you want to keep it simple and stress-free, choose some items you can prepare before the day of the party. My favorite is when people serve healthy snacks along with the treats. My most recent discovery is fruit and cheese kabobs.
Check out all of these healthy green snacks at a party: http://www.designmom.com/2009/02/kite-flying-party-or-green-puppet.html (last picture on this post)
Be aware of allergies. For instance, I avoid peanut butter all together just in case. An allergic reaction could put a damper on your party. Serve drinks that will help you to avoid any chance of a stain on your carpet. Try to keep it simple: pick a few fun things, some of which may go along with your theme, and that’s it.

5. Party Favors. I keep it really simple here. Prizes/treats are often inherent in the party activities. My daughter’s birthday party was right around the start of the school year when school supplies are so inexpensive so as her friends left, they got a new box of crayons. I think they were like 19 cents a box. I think a single item is enough, but that’s just me. If you decide to give a whole bag of gifts, consider white paper lunch bags to hold the little treasures. Your child could decorate one for each friend in the weeks leading up to the party. Here are some ideas for a one-item-party favor: an inexpensive plastic flashlight (could be really fun for a camping or space theme) with batteries included, a pinwheel, homemade Play-doh or homemade Gak, an item from the dollar store or Target $1 spot that goes with your theme, bubbles. Any other ideas?

6. Games/activities. I like a balance of games that require a parent to lead and are active as well as activities that don’t require so much energy from the host/hostess. For example, some dancing games led by you, balanced with cookie decorating or a craft where parents might help out and kids can pick and choose what they want to do. I like to have both so that I can sit back and enjoy for some of it. I tend to play classic games but add music or props that fit in with the theme. Classic party games include Musical Chairs, Freeze Dance, Pin the Tail on the Donkey, Fishing, Relays, Cookie decorating, crafts, face painting, make your own party hat, hot potato. What am I missing? Like I said, with music or props, these can be re-vamped for your theme and be super fun. Get those creative juices flowing! It’s so rewarding!

You can also search for pre-school games for your theme on the Internet. There were a lot of sites for me to check out for a Valentine’s party.

Avoid a craft that has potential for a huge mess or stain. Be wary of paint, sand, etc.

7. Setting the mood. I like to put a welcome sign on the door. It sets the tone right as guests come in. Your children can help decorate it. It is fun to create a themed-playlist for use during hang out time as well as games. For instance, if you had a space them, some songs might be: “Fly me to the Moon”, “It’s only a Paper Moon”, “Would you like to Swing on a star”, “Satellite”, etc. Put some keywords into iTunes and see what you can find.

8. Invitations. This can be free by e-mail. A friend of mine used evite. It was a cute little virtual invitation where you could easily send in an RSVP. It showed me who else had RSVP-ed as well. Then a few days before the party we got a reminder for the party over e-mail. Might be worth checking out! If you want to mail, you can always make invitations using supplies you already have at your house. I’m not good at making cards, but a lot of you are!

9. Decorations: keep it simple! Don’t spend a lot of money here! Again, how can you take classic/simple party décor, and spice it up in your theme.

10. ONE OTHER TIP! Try to have your spouse and/or family member and/or good friend there to help, or at least to be there to document the event via cameras. You will have a better time if you have an extra set of hands to help bring out food, or to do face painting or something. Don’t rely on a friend who is bringing their two active kids to the party! You want someone who doesn’t have to worry about their child running into your bedroom or tackling a friend. It’s also nice to have someone who can run out and get something for you at the last minute if needed.

11. Last tip: Don’t forget that this is for the kids. Make your plans based on what they would like!! It’s so fun to see them having fun. And it’s very rewarding to get creative.
I’m also a fan of parties that require little work or organization and they are also super fun, but for these special occasions, it can be fun to add some pizzazz.

4 comments:

stacibee said...

What great ideas!! I love them all! Thanks Linz.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

How do you ladies feel about RSVPing? When I throw parties (which so far have only been adult or entire family gatherings) I usually indicate on the invite that guests should RSVP by a certain date. Why? Because planning for food etc is expensive and difficult if you don't know how many guests to expect. And inevitably, someone calls the night before to say they are coming with their ten kids...so RSVP by some date is a good idea.

If I am doing a party where I expect most people will say yes, I do a "regrets only" invitation. I once read somewhere that this is a more positive way to do it...I'm wondering what you guys think about that!

Liz said...

What great ideas, Linz! I wanted to do a Valentine party after you threw yours but didn't have time to throw it together. So I just need to channel that excitement into a spring party or something!!

thanks for the inspiration.
Jocelyn, about RSVP'ing I don't like regrets only because I don't think it gives nearly as accurate a head count. I think RSVP'ing by a certain date is necessary for planning but of course you plan for more and be flexible.

Linz said...

I like RSVP and yes, some people will not go ahead and do it. I have found that when I e-mail vs. snail mail, I get much more response. It's so easy to reply and say "Yes, I'm coming!".

I am also not afraid to ask people a few days before or a week before. Are you coming to the birthday party? I don't think that's offensive or rude at all but maybe you might disagree with me!