Sunday, March 8, 2009

Food Storage Questions

I'm feeling a little bit anxious these days about my food storage. I have a small amount stored, but I'm feeling like I need to get a lot more stored and quickly. When we get back from Utah I plan to do a large shopping trip and try to get us to about 3 months worth of food stored. The thing is, I'm not quite sure how much I need to store in order to have 3 months worth of food.

How do you girls figure out how much you need? Especially with things like toilet paper and toothpaste? Do you have menus planned and buy food that way, or do you just buy lots of canned fruits and veggies and pounds and pounds of rice?? Any tips you have for getting my food storage rolling would be greatly appreciated. I feel so overwhelmed when it comes to getting a good supply of food, but I know its important. So please, HELP!

5 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I highly recommend this site and it's 3-month food storage calculator...It makes storing food and getting your act together really easy. They will also send you emails to guide you through your 1 year supply...you just have to sign up for that option...here is the link: http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/21/3monthfoodsupply/

Good luck!

Joni said...

Also, if you go to the Provident Living section of LDS.org they give you a good idea of how much you would consume. You can then moderate it to the specific types of foods you are most likely to eat. They're good at giving you amounts on staples.

Claire said...

Perfect! I will start with those two places! Thanks girls.

Jen L said...

I was going to post those two sites as well :)

We have a $5 a week plan (could be modified to meet your budget...). Each week I spend 5 extra dollars on food storage stuff. Whether it's a few cans of tuna and some baking soda, or mac and cheese or whatever it may be. Then I keep the extra in a little savings jar to spend on TP, etc. We of course do make big purchases, like wheat for instance, but as far as all the other little things, it's amazing what $5 a week can do!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

They just posted a long-term food storage calculator as well: http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/03/09/long-term-food-storage-calculator/