Friday, March 20, 2009

I Love Phosphates!

So my husband and I are really trying to live "greener." We recycle at least three times as much as we trash. I use reusable bags when I go shopping. I've stopped bleaching our whites. I hardly put anything down the garbage disposal anymore. My husband even made me buy a bag of kitty litter (we have no pets) just to pour expired cough medicine into so it wouldn't get into the water supply.

But I just can't give up my phosphate-laden dishwasher detergent! I tried Palmolive Eco gel, but it left a white film on our black plastic spoons and spatulas. Then I tried Seventh Generation powder, but that was WAYYYYY worse, leaving powder on everything to the point that I honestly think the dishes were cleaner without the soap (yes, I'm a scrubber). I was finally tempted beyond measure when I saw those oh-so-easy-to-use gel packs on sale, AND I had a coupon, and I have blissfully enjoyed two days of actually clean dishes! But I do feel a tad bit guilty. So my question is, has anyone found a phosphate-free dishwasher detergent that works?

5 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Dang, Laura...You are hard core. I bow to your Earth-friendly benevolence! :) (I think I need to go re-purpose something now!)

Liz said...

I say enjoy your phosphates because you're making so many efforts in other areas!

Bethany said...

I agree. But if I find anything I'll let you know. I used the Palmolive Eco Gel too and it was TERRIBLE. It left a white film even on our clear dishes.

Stephanie said...

Ditto to everyone else...you're way ahead of me!!!

Unknown said...

My VERY "green" friend just told me she's tried these brands, plus Shaklee, Trader Joe's, and many others, and she keeps going back to Cascade. So, I'm guessing there's not much hope on this one. :)