Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cloth Diapers?

Right now I have a 2 year old and a baby on the way and have been freaking out about how much I will soon be spending on diapers for the two of them. I remember my parents talking about using cloth diapers when I was a kid, and I have to admit it never sounded like something I would want to do. Recently however, we have had to use diaper covers on top of my sons overnight diapers to prevent leaking and it has gotten me thinking about switching the disposable diaper with a cloth diaper, since the disposable diaper isn't doing the job, and maybe even trying to use cloth diapers instead of disposable during the day for him and our baby to come. Have any of you tried cloth diapers? What did you think? If it is a huge ordeal, I have to admit that I probably won't stick with cloth, so I don't want to invest money into it until I feel comfortable that it won't be too bad, some of the cloth diapers look really easy to use.

5 comments:

The Stump Clan said...

Check out http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com

On this blog it is currently cloth diapering week and there are tons of posts on the benefits of cloth diapers. Check it out, it is quite interesting.

Claire said...

Haha! I was about to make the same suggestion as Molly. There is a site that Angie talks about on babycheapskate where you can "test drive" cloth diapers. You put $115 down and you get a mix of different cloth diapers to try out for three weeks. Then you can return them and get your money back, minus $10. Angie is also doing a cloth diaper giveaway. Sounds like it could be the perfect prize for you to try and win! I really wanted to do cloth diapers but life was overwhelming and I never got around to it. Its definitely something that I want to look into next time around.

The Schacher Family said...

I just have to say that when I babysat my neice who has cloth diapers it was really frustrating as a baby sitter and really annoying to have to deal with cloth diapering. So if you do decide to go the cloth diaper route if you get a babysitter at least have your baby wear a disposable diaper for the sitter!!

rebecca said...

I use cloth diapers, and I love them. There are times when you think, oh my goodness, don't walk by the bucket, but once my little one's thighs fatened up we had no blow out. I know they are pricey, but our fave kind is bumgenius. We only have 5 of them, and dozens of prefold (that we use almost all the time) but the bum genius are so handy. Even my younger sister who had only changed paper diapers, can use them (since they are stuffed, and attached with velcro. And they change sizes, so we can use these until #1 is potty trained, and when we get #2 (not for a while, since we aren't trying) they can wear the same diapers. Plus, if you are thrown a baby shower, you can register for them, and cut out some of the cost. I have bought from cottonbabies.com (the manufacturer) and amazon.com (because we had a gift certificate).

Jen said...

I tried it with my first baby and I was not a fan. I didn't mind when she peed, but when she pooped it took all I had to clean them up. Not really for me. Once I kind of knew her schedule then I would put cloth diapers on when I knew she wouldn't poop or do it after she pooped and that saved us a little bit of money.