Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tell me it's just a phase!

AAaaaaghhhh! My 21 mos old, who's never really struggled with shyness or stranger anxiety, is regressing in nursery! She used to LOVE it, and cried when she had to leave. Now she won't stay in there without my husband or I. She completely freaks out. I'm okay with her crying for a few minutes, but the nursery leaders bring her to me right away. I don't know what to do! I keep hoping it's just a phase, but I'm wondering what will make the phase end??? Needless to say, Church has been miserable for us the past few weeks. Have any of your children gone through phases like this? Any particular tips to get through it? Tell me there's an end in sight!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Unfortunately :D Cecelia isn't old enough for nursery yet, so I'm no expert on the matter, for sure!! But shouldn't the nursery leader try to distract her instead of bringing her to you as soon as she makes a peep? I've definitely heard kids in our nursery screaming before, but the nursery workers try to console them before interrupting other classes to get the parents.

kristi said...

I have definitely been there before. What I would do was stay for a little bit and try to get my child playing with something and then sneak out. Now, I have had nursery leaders who didn't like me doing that because they thought it made it worse when I left, but I didn't agree with them. You might also try telling the leaders that you know she will cry, but you want to see if she can calm down and stay in nursery without you being there. And that you understand that might mean her crying for a little while and you are ok with it. As a little note of comfort, my son did out grow it and I think he was around your daughers age when he had the problem.

Linz said...

How much times passes before they bring her to you? If it's just a few minutes, I would consider talking to the leaders to see if they're willing to let her cry longer before coming to get you.

The Schacher Family said...

You could try getting together with another child from nursery outside of nursery so she feels comfortable with someone when she goes. My son does way better when his friend Ali is in nursery with him. Another suggestion I heard another Mom give is if there is another adult in your ward that your daughter really likes have them take her to nursery. It worked for all of her children. I hope this helps!