Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Aaaaaaaah!!!!!

My baby is in a screaming phase! She's almost a year and a half and she's in a (hopefully short) phase where she screams a high pitched wail if she doesn't get her way or we're not paying attention to her. I'm pretty sure it's just for attention. We've tried reinforcing other behaviors, ignoring it, shushing it, telling her to "talk nice" and "use her nice words/voice" and we've actually given her a time out when it escalates into hitting. I have loved every stage since she was born so far but I'm not loving this! :) Did your kids scream? Did it last? How did you deal with it? What am I doing wrong or do I just need to wait it out????? The part that drives me the most batty is that I want to scream after a day of this and I can't because I know it will be teaching her the wrong thing!!!!!! Help!

6 comments:

Linz said...

Since my one and only babe is younger, I have no advice, but I do know that you're one of the most disciplined moms I know...an incredible teacher. I've been impressed with you since she was a newborn. It HAS to be a phase. You're doing all you can do. Maybe she won't hear you scream if you do it in a pillow or outside. :)

Bethany said...

Ha ha. I like your advice Linz. My son is 7 months and he LOVES to scream. It gets irritating at times. His favorite place to scream is when he's on the changing table, he screams at the light/ceiling fan, not at having his diaper changed thankfully! I don't have much advice for you either ... sorry. I'm sure she'll grow out of it though. Try telling her you can't hear her unless she whispers.

Liz said...

well, thank you for the votes of confidence. when she was younger like yours bethany, she did this as well and it went away so i'm hoping it does again. my mom suggested i give her a warning (use your quiet voice if you want to talk to me, if you scream, i'm going to walk away) and then ignore it, like leave the room if she does it again. she's gonna hate that!!!!

Linz said...

Leaving the room, that might actually work after a few times.

My child screams at church. Ugh. At least it's a happy scream.

Liz said...

We did that one as well! these are not happy screams unfortuantely. These are "I want my way right now!" screams! :)

Stephanie said...

I don't have any advice either, my little one isn't quite there yet. However, she did cry/scream the ENTIRE time we were in the grocery store last night, so I got to hold her on one hip and pull the cart with the other. So...I definitely understand the whole wanting to scream yourself thing!