Friday, June 29, 2007

Trouble Sleeping

Whenever I try to go to sleep, whether it's a nap during the day or going to bed for the night, my nose gets stuffy and I have a hard time breathing. Sleeping with my mouth wide open so I can breathe is annoying. Perhaps it's the humidity in TX but if so wouldn't my nose still be stuffy when I'm not laying down to sleep? My pillow is flat. Perhaps that has something to do with it? I remember seeing an episode of Oprah w/ Dr. Oz and they talked about some nose "cleaning" thing ... I wasn't paying close attention but it looked like a little white tea pot with water or saline solution in it and the girl tipped her head to the side poured the liquid in one nostril and it came out the other. I think it was to help relieve sinus problems. Does anyone remember this? Does anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?

3 comments:

Linz said...

My sister tried out the neti pot!! Check out this blog post:

http://kristyglass.blogspot.com/2007/05/im-believer.html

Liz said...

All right, I'm going to sound like a know-it-all again, but it's something I actually recommend to my voice therapy patients. For some it works wonders, for others it's okay. But I'm also a believer in the neti pot or nasal irrigation. You don't have to have a neti pot either. You can mix 1/2 tsp. canning salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda and a quart of water and use a bulb syringe (baby booger sucker) and shoot water up your nose. Be sure to do it with warm water or the "water in the nose" sensation is worse. The saline and baking soda loosen gunk in the back of your throat and moisturize. It's good to clear it out before bed and in the morning. Also, a lot of doctors believe that post-nasal drip, the cause for the "gunk" and stuffiness is caused by reflux (even though you might never feel heartburn), so you may want to check into that as well.

katie said...

Saline spray/drops are great! Probably similar to the neti pot deal, but minus the baking soda. My pulmonologist said that saline is wonderful for the nasal passageways, because it actually shrinks the mucous membranes so you will produce less mucous.