Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bad Mom

Our family o' three visited my hubby's family this past week. I still consider us quite the novice parents, and in that regard, I think we traveled really well...for the most part. I had some bad mom moments. Here is one of them:

On Sunday, I had to feed the baby her lunch at church. I don't think that's the right thing to do most of the time but when you travel, you do what you have to do. We were only there for sacrament meeting so I had just a short amount of time to feed her before we needed to leave. After the first talk or so, I took her out to feed her. Thus far on our trip, meals fed without a highchair have been challenging. She gets very distracted. So I took her in a classroom to avoid possible distractions. She started crawling around and such and I still managed to somehow get mouthfuls in.

The first couple of days of our trip she didn't eat well. I think she was overwhelmed by all the people, new locations, and traveling. So in a short amount of time, I was trying to get her to finish all the food I packed for her to ensure she was getting what she needed. I shoved a huge bite of baby mac and cheese in her mouth and the moment I did it I realized her mouth was already pretty full from the last bite, or two, or three. In about 1.67 seconds, she gagged and then threw it all up. I knew immediately it was my fault. Too much food too fast. She and I had macaroni and cheese all over us. I was proud of myself for not letting out a single squeal and allowing my heart rate to stay at a reasonably normal level. I reached for my backpack that had a spare onesie in it, undressed the utterly confused babe, and then realized my gallon sized Ziploc bag in my backpack was not large enough for her poofy dress, bib, etc. I thought back to my days of changing the trash in YW after church. I looked under the trash bag in the can and found a few spare bags. Yippee!! Then I walked the babe down to the chapel, opened the door where I knew my hubby was seated, and mouthed the words "Time to go", and we were off. I admitted to my husband that it was truly my fault and he, as usual understood, and just laughed. Sometimes I let my agenda come before my baby!! I really need to work at this.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Luckily we all have bad mom moments! It's hard to let go of your agenda! My worst is when I'll get done with my list of tasks and errands and realize I forgot to feed her! At least you didn't forget!

Stephanie said...

lol! Thanks Linz! I'm still trying to live down my Target incident, so I appreciate the moral support!

Unknown said...

You're lucky you only let your agenda lead "sometimes"--I forge ahead way too often! And Liz, I've totally forgotten to feed mine on occassion too (nothing too traumatic, of course). I have gotten a lot better at the food thing, though. I always have a stash of graham crackers, Cheerios, and/or raisins in the car.

Chantel said...

If you think you have a hard time now, wait until there is a second child. At some points I feel as though I am rushing around trying to get everything done. Sometimes I have so many errands to run that I bribe my kids with reduced fat pringles. Don't feel bad, it is just part of the balancing act that is motherhood.

Natalie said...

Reduced fat pringles!! haha! I'll have to remember that for future kids.

Rural Dee said...

I think we are all guilty of things like that. This morning I put a swimming diaper on Collin because I thought we were going to the pool. We didn't end up going and I forgot I had put the diaper on. An hour later the kid starts bawling. I go over to see what's wrong and his entire onesie is SOAKING wet, both front and back. I felt really bad!

Moral of the story: Water is not the only liquid that swimming diapers will not expand to absorb.