Saturday, June 16, 2007

Come On BENJI!

I don't know if any of you watch So You Think You Can Dance. I got hooked on it last year and was totally jazzed that Benji Schwimmer (a returned missionary) won. I've been watching it this year and caught a return performance of Benji's on Thursday nights results show. I'm a really big Benji fan; I've listened to interviews he's given, watched online dance clips, and I check his MySpace once in a while. He seems to be a really funny guy with a good attitude and a strong testimony. Anyway, at the end of his performance Thursday night (which in and of itself was FAB) he dropped his pants to reveal American Flag undies. I was disappointed and put off. Did anyone else see this? Does anyone else think this was not a good choice on Benji's part as a representative of the church? I've seen him do other funny little things in some of his other dance clips, like rip his shirt off and stuff, but the dropping the pants on national television seemed to cross the line for me. I'm not too concerned when dancers wear skimpy clothing; I know that is part of dancing. But when they are unnecessarily revealing, like some of the tops I've seen Benji's sister Lacey where on this season of the show, I think, "Come on Mormons! Let's make some better choices here." Am I blowing this out of proportion? Let me end with stating that no matter what I will always adore cute little Benji and I'm fast becoming a fan of his talented sister this season. So, your thoughts?

6 comments:

Joni said...

Okay, I know this is dumb, but I spelled the word "wear" wrong in this post ("where") and even though I corrected it before I even published it and then tried to go back and edit it out, it keeps publishing it wrong. Weird. Anyway, I'm not retarded.

Linz said...

Joni--

I had the exact same thought about the American flag briefs. It just wasn't necessary and I, too, am a fan of the Schwimmer's. My husband felt the same way. He didn't need to do that...he was already well liked!

Stephanie said...

It seems like I am always disappointed when a Mormon is on a reality show, or something like that. Maybe I just expect too much. I'm sure it gets to you, being in the spotlight and all. I guess I'll just have to turn down Hollywood the next time they call!!!

Abby said...

dang I've had a hard time finding the time to watch this season. i was totally hooked last year. Thats too bad about Benji. Kinda dumb too. HOpefully I can catch up this week

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Benji got a big huge gigantic THUMBS DOWN from this household! With great privledge comes great responsibility. Benji just needs to not let fame get to his head! Also...pulling down his pants didn't exactly show off his best feature, if you know what I mean!

Linz said...

good call, Jocelyn!