Monday, July 23, 2007

Egg Whites

I know egg whites are supposed to be one of those foods you have your baby avoid til they are a year old or so. But like the milk question, I've been wondering lately just how careful I need to be. I wasn't planning on cooking a whole egg for my almost ten month old. However, do I need to avoid feeding her things like pancakes too, because they have egg in them? On the one hand, I'm not too worried because food allergies don't really fun in our families. However, I don't want to push her with foods either. If it's a big deal, I don't mind waiting. Just wondering how careful other moms are with this kind of thing!

5 comments:

Liz said...

We have french toast every Christmas breakfast and it wasn't until it was over that I realized I'd fed my 10 mos. old bread dipped in eggs! She was fine though! I think you can be lenient (sp?) as they near 1 year especially if your family doesn't have strong food allergies.

Linz said...

We just found out V is allergic to penicillin but at first we thought it was that we had fed her egg for the first time. It was definitely the penicillin, but what I did learn from the nurse was that when you introduce something new like that, you should always do it in the morning so you can monitor them through the day and they don't have anything crazy happen to them in their sleep at night.

Bethany said...

Hey, my Dad is allergic to penicillin. Not that you all really care.

This is probably a dumb question but Linz, how did you figure out V was allergic to it. Is it in a regular over the counter medicine?

As for the eggs, I came across an article that said it's not a huge deal unless there are others in the family who have an allergy to it.

Linz said...

B. VH-- Violet had an ear infection and they gave her amoxicyllin...two days later she had a rash on lots of her body. That's how we found out!

Liz said...

It's common for penicillin allergies to run in families. the little one, me, my mom, all have penicillin allergies found out by the little red dots all over! Luckily, our baby's rash didn't seem painful or itchy.