Monday, July 2, 2007

"I am a Mother"

Just wanted to give a shout out for a great book I am almost done reading. It's called "I am a Mother," by Jane Clayson Johnson. She is LDS, and used to be a co-host on the Early Show. Once I read that, I vaguely remembered her. Anyway, it's full of good quotes and just makes you feel special general about being a Mom. Jane ended up giving up her high profile career when she had her first baby. I was worried that it was going to make me feel guilty, because I still have to work a couple nights a week, in our current situation. I HATE hearing/reading things in the church that make me feel guilty or like I'm choosing a career over my baby. Anyway, this book isn't like that. Her purpose in writing it is a plea for women to not say, "I'm JUST a mom," when asked what they do. One of the arguments I really liked talked about how people get praise and respect for growing up to be doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc, but what about the women who raised them and shaped them to be these great things? Anyway, the book is full of great quotes, and just makes you feel good in general. I am borrowing my mother in law's copy, but I like it enough that I think I am going to order one for myself. Just thought I would share!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I think we as mothers always need that positive reinforcement. Last week I worked 6 days in a row and I felt like a horrible mother. I know I'm working to help provide for my family and honestly I may always have to work a little to keep up my license so that I can work if we ever need me to be a sole provider. However, when it's a long week of working and I can tell it's hard on the baby, it's really hard to stay positive about my role and feel good about things.

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVED that book! My mom gave it to me for Mother's Day. Liz, you can borrow my copy if you want!

Liz said...

oooh! i'd love to! thanks laura!!

Natalie said...

I loved this book. If you can remember I am the one who wrote the blog about not loving being a new mom. I really thought it was so hard at first. Now, however it's a different story. For mother's day I got that book and I just cherish it. I feel connected to Jane Clayson--she spoke at my graduation from college. What a lady she is!

Stephanie said...

I know, I am so impressed by her! And Liz, I am with ya on always having to work a little in order to keep my license, (and to help pay the bills while my husband's new business gets started, AND so we can have insurance!) Anyway, sometimes you feel like others are judging you, and I agree-it's just nice to have the positive reinforcement that everyone's situation is different and all that matters is we do the best we can and LOVE our kids!