Monday, September 10, 2007

How Much Sleep?


My little one is an awesome sleeper and has been from the getgo. She's now 19 months and usually sleeps 11 hours at night and 3 hours during the day. I know, I'm very lucky! My latest email from Baby Center was about how much sleep babies need . I always find this interesting. It took me a while to learn that when babies are having trouble napping, going to sleep, they're often OVERtired. So when we interpret them as "they're obviously not sleepy yet" we're often wrong. It's that they are so wound up from being tired, they can't settle down.

Last night this exact thing happened to us! M didn't get her full nap yesterday as church is right in the middle of her nap (gotta love 11am church on Sundays!) So she was short on sleep and smart us, we'd let her stay up late Saturday night so she was extra short. Sunday evening, we had friends over for dinner, and she was wound up but exhausted and lost it! Weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth galore! We finally got her to bed at 8 only to have her wake up at 9, 10, 11, and 5 this morning. This is sooooo unlike my girl. And when she woke up, she was not to be consoled unless I rocked her. Since this is so uncharacteristic of her, we immediately worried she was feeling sick, but she woke up right as rain. Just tired! Hopefully today is one of those two-nap days! :)

2 comments:

Linz said...

I definitely appreciated reading that chart. Thank you!

Bethany said...

Thanks Liz, this was good info. Seems my son is about on track for his age. Although his naps tend to vary in length day to day.