Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sewing machine dilema

(I apologize before hand if you already read this on my personal blog...but I thought it would be fun to get some more opinions)


So I have been searching for quite a while now to find a machine. I have looked online and done my own research and thought I knew what I wanted. I have saved about $250 now, but have learned that just might not cut it.
I am a beginner, so I don't need the very best, but at the same time I would like something that I could use for a long time too....
I went to buy this Singer machine online that had like 36 great reviews and then waited for some reason. I saw the same machine at Walmart and got a little skeptical.

The lady cutting fabric said, "Oh I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to buy a Singer" and then told me that it was once a great company and then sold out to another company and has just gone down hill ever since.

So...back to square one. I know Pfaff and Bernina are the best, but what if I don't have $600-$800 to spend? Do any of you like to sew, and if sew (haha) what do you have or recommend to a beginning sewer?

3 comments:

Strive to Thrive said...

I have a Janome and have loved it. I don't know how much it cost originally... got it as a gift, but I have loved it and used it a ton (4 years). I own my own business and it's a sewing business. Up until now, it's been great. I am getting a little busy for my machine now and am contemplating an industrial machine now. Janome is a great brand, I love it! Good luck!

Liz said...

I inherited a Bernina when my grandma passed away and love it of course but my Mom had a Pfaff for years and it was a great machine.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Natalie - Six years ago, I was in your same situation. I was (still am really!) a beginner looking for the right machine. I didn't have much to spend at all, but I eeked out $399 for a Huskavarna (sp?) (Model: Romeo) It didn't have every bell and whistle, but it did button holes and has a nice set of stitches...perfect for me at the time. It has served me well every since, and I have NEVER had a problem. I would definitely recommend that you look at a Husky machine, which can be purchased at a Joann's Fabrics that has a sewing machine sales insert...or online.

Now I am looking to upgrade, but only because I'd like to have more stitches and be able to do a bit more. But my machine is by no means worn out or out dated, and I don't really wish to stop using it!

Another thing Husky does is you can trade in your sewing machine later if you want to upgrade and they give you a large amount (if not all) toward your next purchase...That was a while ago, but I remember the sales woman told me that at the time...I'm sure they must still do it...