Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Need an opinion...

Other people have done this, and it seems like a great way to get a lot of honest, unbiased opinions from women in my age group, with similar interests! So I'm asking for your help! Ok, so here's my dilemma:

I work part-time as a nurse. As many of you may know, our country is faced with a nursing shortage. So, like many other hospitals, ours has an employee incentive for referring new nurses. If you refer a nurse who ends up working for our hospital, you get a nice bonus, in two installments. Part of it after 3 mos, and the rest if they are still working there after a year. A gal moved into our ward last year and started asking me questions about getting a job at the hospital I work at. I actually spent a fair amount of time helping her get a job in my department: talking to her on the phone, talking to my manager, talking to the interview committee, and helping her with her application. She got hired, and now works in my unit. Yeaaa! Since then, we have kind of become friends as well. A few people think that you should split the bonus with the person that essentially, helped you get it. But it's hard for me not to view it as a blessing from Heavenly Father, for paying our tithing, and to help us get through a rough spot. I can see splitting it if the person is trying to get a job at your hospital and says, "Hey, I'll put your name down and we can split the bonus..." But neither of us really knew about the bonus ahead of time. I was honestly just helping her get a job, which is what it's set up for. Anyway, maybe I'm justifying it in my head, because I want to keep the money! That's where you come in. I was thinking more along the lines of giving her a gift certificate to a restaurant, for her and her husband to go out. What do you think" Lame? Since we have become friends, I want to keep her as a friend. Am I wrong for thinking the money is mine??? Be honest!

8 comments:

Liz said...

I don't think you're wrong for thinking the money is yours. I think her bonus is that she got a job! I think you can honestly look at it like, my job is rewarding me with a bonus for recruiting someone and rewarding her with a job! I wouldn't even think a gift certificate is necessary...just help her love her job and that will be reward enough. I agree that if you had a prior agreement, obviously you should stick with it but that isn't the case here.

Linz said...

It's your money. She will get a bonus if she refers someone. It would work that way if like you referred someone to an apartment complex too. I don't think you need to give a gift certificate either. Has she brought it up at all?

stacibee said...

Girlfriend, that bonus is yours and you deserve it. I agree with the other girls, she can earn the entire bonus herself next time a nurse moves into town. I'm sure she agrees that it's fair as well.

Joni said...

Um, yeah, I hope she's not expecting a portion of the money because she is absolutely not entitled to any of it. It's intended for you. She got a job out of it, so it's not like she isn't getting any benefit.

Definitely your money and don't even give it a second thought. There are way to many things in the world to cause guilt. Don't let this be one of them.

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree with everyone else! She can refer someone else if she wants to in the future. That bonus is YOURS!

NTG said...

Steph, you are too nice for your own good. Don't give that girl anything. And if this type of thing causes weirdness between you, then maybe she isn't that good a friend as you thought.

Natalie said...

well...I think a gift certificate would be nice (maybe Wendy's?), but you shouldn't feel obligated. It seems to me that they give the bonus to the person that helped get that person hired, not both or it would be designated that way. She asked you about it and you helped get the ball rolling for her and helped get her hired--that is her bonus. The money is yours darlin!

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much guys, you've made me feel SO much better! She hasn't asked about it as in hinting that she thought I should share. But she did bring it up once, saying something like "So, you should be getting your bonus soon!" And that's when I started to second guess myself!