Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six years ago today

Where were you six years ago today? What were you doing when you heard about the planes colliding with the Twin Towers and the other plane going down in Pennsylvania?

I was a senior in high school. I was getting ready for seminary (we had early morning seminary before school) and I was listening to the radio and going about my business as usual. I remember the DJ saying that a plane had flown into something, I didn't catch what or where, and I thought "oh man....that stinks" or something like that. I wasn't really paying attention. I sat down in my seminary class and the others were talking about the attack. I thought "Oh my gosh, that must have been what they were talking about on the radio!" At school all of my teachers had the TV turned to the news so we could see what was going on. I think thats all we did that day in each class, watch the news. We all wanted to know why it happened. I got home and turned the news on. My Dad and I watched the news that evening and we wondered what my Mom was going to do! She was with her best friend in England and they were supposed to return a few days later. We were worried that she wouldn't be able to get home or worse ... she would start to come home but not make it all the way. Thankfully she did!

It's hard to believe that six years have already gone by. I'm sad for those families that lost loved ones on the attack. I am thankful for the men and women protecting our country and other countries. I am very thankful that families are eternal.

6 comments:

Chantel said...

When the first plane collided into the towers I was in my early morning aerobics class. I heard the news in my Economics class, when my professor was called and had to have a discussion with the church leaders about the Jerusalem Center. He was the Professor over it at BYU. My next class was Accounting, and during that people begin to fully understand what was going on. I remember discussing it with my friend Hugh and his cute friend, who months later I became engaged to.

kristi said...

I was a newlywed and at class at Michigan State. I had no idea that it had happened because I was already at class. My hubby and I had my next class together so he told me what had happened when he got there. From what I remember, class was dismissed early and everyone on campus had their eyes glued to whatever TV was around them. I remember being a little worried about my sister because she lived just outside of DC. She was fine thankfully. It was a sad and scary day.

Tiffany said...

I was in an early morning aerobics class too! What a small world! I remember showering and seeing all these people watching CNN at the Wilkinson Center and I was like, "They must be doing some sort of project..." Then, I did my Book of Mormon homework oblivious to the world...and I didn't find out until I went to my Book of Mormon class. We watched the news the whole class and then I watched CNN all day. (after calling my family to make sure everyone was okay of course)

Sadly, it was my best friend's 18th birthday and first birthday away from home...so we tried to make it as happy for her as we could...

Liz said...

Early in the morning, I called my Dad in Arkansas from college to harrass him for not sending my thyroid medication on time-my apartment had a TV but no cable so I didn't know what was going on and he told me to drop what i was doing and go to a neighbor's to watch the news. I was dumbfounded but later had to go to class. I will always remember that my friend Melanie got engaged the night before. She came to class so excited to tell us and then felt bad trying to share happy news on such a day. at USU most classes were canceled and we sat in the TSC watching the news all day.

This morning on the radio on my way to work, they were talking about ways to commemorate it. One mom mentioned that she was going to show documentaries to her now-teenage children to show them teach them about what happened and how things have changed. Another thing I liked was a family who bakes cookies and makes thank you cards for their police and fire men every year on that day. i liked that. it also made me think of the ways it's changed America-how we value things, airports, focusing on security and terrorism, things we didn't grow up with. thanks for posting this, Bethany VH.

Linz said...

Great question. It's kind of therapeutic to think through these kinds of memories.

I was at MSU and found out right before I went to choir. A friend told me and to be honest I didn't realize the impact of it at that moment. Then I went into choir and my director came in, teary-eyed, and said, "Do you all realize what has happened this morning?" He said he couldn't teach and we all left. Later that semester he put together a concert that we performed about life and death. It was very meaningful for all involved.

A lot of us were ticked that classes weren't cancelled that day out of respect. U of M had cancelled theirs. I was glued to the TV set with my roommates that night and shuddered every time they showed the footage of the planes going into the sides of the towers. It was just horrific.

Unknown said...

My husband and I had just returned from our honeymoon two days before, and it was my first day at work at my first "real" job after grad school. I worked in downtown Columbus, Ohio, right across the street from the state capitol. I'd only been at work for a little while when we heard the special news report on the radio that the first plane had hit. My co-worker said (although it was only the first plane), "We're under attack." I thought she was being overly dramatic until the other reports started rolling in. Our CEO said that people could either go home or stay, whichever would be better for them emotionally. I went home (which took a long time, since no busses were allowed to run through downtown), and my husband and I watched the news all day. What a way to begin our marriage!