Wednesday, November 14, 2007

8 Days to go!


Until we all stuff ourselves!! What are your plans for Thanksgiving? What are your family traditions?

When I was little my grandma told us the "Tale of Candy Corn" every year. We all got three candy corn and those represented the food that the pilgrims had the first year...or something like that (can you tell how well I paid attention?)

My Dad likes us all to say something we're thankful for and gives a nice testimony before dinner.

I set the tables. It's my job to make them pretty with all the best china and silver and crystal and beautiful centerpieces.

My parents always have families from the ward over. Usually the families that can't go anywhere but don't have family nearby. For years, we also had the missionaries in our ward (up to eight of them!)

When we lived in Utah, we'd put up a quilt to tie after dinner with my grandma and aunts.

Now, I always go a day early. My other job is pies. Mom makes the crusts and I make all the insides. Except for the chocolate cream pie. That one's too complicated! :)

My family is so deeply steeped in food tradition that the year my Mom changed the sweet potatoes there was mutiny...until we tasted the new recipe! Yum!!! We HAVE to have potato rolls, pomegranate salad, ribbon jello as well as the regulars: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes. We could care less about green beans! :)

That's what makes my Thanksgiving. What makes yours??

9 comments:

NTG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linz said...

Sorry, I deleted that last comment because I was signed in as my hubby.

It seems I have been in a lot of different places for Thanksgiving. It's hard to pin down consistent things, but it's always a great meal no matter where you are.

My fave Thanksgiving memory was going to the Macy's parade in New York City. It was a total blast. I will never forget it.

Claire said...

I've been thinking about your question since I saw your post first thing this morning... My family doesn't have a ton of traditions for Thanksgiving... My mum's family is all in England and my dad's family isn't big into traditions. We basically just had a huge dinner with our immediate family. Sometimes we'd have the missionaries over for dinner but most of the time it was just us.

When I was in high school my brother and I would play football on Thanksgiving morning and then we'd all eat till we thought we'd throw up, then slip into a turkey induced coma! The one really special tradition that we have, is that my dad and I always listen to "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie. Its a 17+ minute song that a local radio station would always play only on Thanksgiving and my dad and I would always listen. Now I have my own copy of the song and I still listen to it, whether I'm with my family or not!

Liz said...

my Dad "made us" listen to Alice's Restaurant too!!!! He will sing the lyrics for days before Thanksgiving!

kristi said...

This year is going go be hard for me. It is the first year that we are away from our family. We live in a new place with no friends and no family for Thanksgiving. The friends we do have all have plans. So, I guess I will attempt to make Thanksgiving dinner for my family all by myself. It should be interesting.

Chantel said...

It is all about the food in my family, but since being married we have made it more than just a meal, and I love it. This will be the first thanksgiving dinner I have made. I had a 1 day old and 3 day old baby with two of our previous Thanksgivings, so I haven't had to cook the meal before.

Teriney said...

My husbands family is your family so we do pretty much the same ;)...now MY side of the family just eats a lot and then we go to movies! It was a ton of fun!!!

Bethany said...

Most holidays we went to my grandparents house, 30 min. away. We'd always have Thanksgiving at our house though. I have been married for 5 years and I have yet to make a turkey. 3 out of the 5 years we celebrated Thanksgiving in our little apartment without any family or friends. It was fun! Our new tradition is that Jason cooks the turkey. He LOVES it!

The Schacher Family said...

Food is the big thing in my family. We usually eat around 3pm and then just talk and play games the rest of the day. Sometimes my birthday falls on Thanksgiving and then I get to open presents. But overall we never did anything special in my family. I need to think of some fun traditions to start with my own family. After reading these I have some ideas. thanks everyone!!