Monday, November 5, 2007

Milk and Coughing

Skyler has had a bad cough for almost a week now, in fact we think it may be Croup. When I was talking to my mom last night, she mentioned that when we were little, the Dr said not to give us milk when we had a bad cough/cold because it increased phlegm production. My Pedi has never said anything like this, and I don't remember learning it in nursing school. But on the other hand, she doesn't seem to be getting any better either. I'm hesitant to try it, partly because I feel like most recommendations have improved and changed withtime, and partly because I don't really give her juice yet, and I would have to start that. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this old wives' tale!

5 comments:

Kage said...

I think there is truth to that. Try her on soymilk while she is sick. My friend's girls got ear infections constantly and she switched to soy and the number of reoccurances dropped dramatically...all b/c of mucus and milk stuff.

Liz said...

Milk definitely increases phlegm for some people but not all. When I have a patient with "chronic cough", it's one of the things we look at. The lactose can create mucus. I might ask your pedi though to make sure.

kristi said...

I have heard that too. I don't think that it is a "old wives tale".

katie said...

Steph, we found out Reagan had croup when we saw you guys before Halloween. We had to put her on breathing treatments because she got so bad. Apparently it has been going around, Austin had it too. Hope she feels better soon!

Bobby said...

i came across your blog by chance. try a little vicks vapor rub on the bottom of her feet, cover with socks, see if that helps the cough. It has helped my husband.