Saturday, November 10, 2007

Vaccines part II

Just in case anyone is interested. In my post about vaccines, someone mentioned that they thought the church was supportive of them... which is true. One of the church's major humanitarian projects is providing the measles vaccination (just as an example). True we do not have the same number of cases in the US as Africa but it still exists here and I can't imagine the church doing one thing for African children that they wouldn't want for American children. This is a statement by the First Presidency in 1978 about vaccines.

“We urge members of the Church … to protect their own children through immunization. Then they may wish to join other public-spirited citizens in efforts to eradicate ignorance and apathy that have caused the disturbingly low levels of childhood immunization.”

“Reports that increasing numbers of children are not being immunized against preventable childhood diseases deeply concern us. In the United States alone approximately 20 million children, 40 percent of those 14 years old or younger, have not been adequately immunized against polio, measles, German measles (rubella), diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), mumps and tetanus.

“Every parent who has agonized when these diseases have maimed or brought premature death to their children would join us, we are certain, in a plea to mobilize against these deadly enemies.

“Immunization is such a simple, yet vital, matter and such a small price to pay for protection against these destroying diseases. …

“Failure to act could subject untold thousands to preventable lifelong physical or mental impairment, including paralysis, blindness, deafness, heart damage, and mental retardation.

“Immunization campaigns in the United States and other nations, if successful, will end much needless suffering and erase the potential threat of epidemics. Such efforts are deserving of our full support.”

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Thanks for posting that Jen L. Where did you find that?

Claire said...

I've heard people say that the church supports vaccines, and I know they provide them to other countries, but its nice to actually read it for myself! Thanks for posting that

Jen L said...

www.providentliving.org has a section on physical health on their main page. Follow that to "disease prevention" (or something like that). There are a couple of statements/articles from the church on the website.

I liked reading it for myself as well... especially since the men that wrote it were sustained as "watchmen on the tower." If there were some serious reasons not to vaccinate, I'm sure they wouldn't have made the statement... even in 1978.

Bethany said...

Very interesting. I have several friends at church who don't vaccinate their children. Maybe I should show them this post. I shouldn't care, but it kind of bothers me because the reason they can get away with not vaccinating their kids is because everyone else does it. Their kids are protected by "herd immunity" since the diseases aren't really around anymore because of the prevalance of immunizations.

The Schacher Family said...

Thanks for expanding on my comment. I like to see the actual quotes. It will be helpful when talking to other people about it.

Liz said...

Yeah, but that's exactly the problem with theories like "herd immunity"! If the "herd" gets too big, then NO ONE's protected!!!! I too enjoyed reading this!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the quote. I have some friends that don't immunize and it drives me bonkers.

I think it is important to question and consider risks when subjecting yourself or your children to any kind of medical procedure.

I think it is irresponsible for parents to rely on "herd immunity" to keep their children disease free. Do those same parents plan on relying on other parents or "good" kids to teach their children morals or other gospel knowledge? Both can have serious consequences.

(I know that last bit was a little dramatic...)

Claire said...

I don't think its dramatic at all! Its so true! We have to protect our children. Its our job as parents!

Rural Dee said...

Hey, I'm glad that you guys posted all of this. My little one just got his MMR and Varivax vaccinations today. I have always been pro-vaccinations, but the whole autism controversy has made me a nervous wreck about this one for months. I even made my husband give him a blessing this morning. :) Anyway, reading this confirmed to me that I made the right decision. I am so glad to know that Collin will never get the measles or--nowadays--chicken pox, either!