Saturday, November 3, 2007

Gifts for tots

Most of my child's favorite toys are ideas that I got from others. Her friend had a cute little Elmo push 'n ride toy. I got her a Winnie the Pooh one and it's wonderful: tons of things to press and pull, a lift-up seat you can fill with things, plus you can ride on it or push it. I highly recommend it for a 1 year old. I bought mine at Costco for $21.99. Another example is this little Dora futon that she plays on everyday. I also recommend this Fisher Price toy where you stack on four star rings. It makes a pretty noise and flashes lights every time you get a ring on and, at the end, you put a star on top and it plays one of the toy's classical tunes. It's about $12.99 at Toys R Us. When she was 9 months old, she would just pull the rings off and press the button that played the music, but now that she's older, she puts the rings on herself. My mother-in-law introduced me to this toy as well as the Fisher Price ball popper! It's so fun. She loved to watch it at 6 months and then grew to love putting the balls back in and pushing the red button that plays the music and gets the ball rolling. Basically kids at every age love playing with it. I've even seen 5 year olds play with it.

Okay, anyway, I am looking for some ideas for my 14 month old (will be almost 16 months at Christmas) for toys for Christmas. If you've had a child at this stage, I would love suggestions on what toys your kids have loved. I know personality plays a part, but I'd just like your general suggestions from a developmental standpoint. Think 18 months old.

Oh...and if you have great suggestions for any other age group (6-12 months, 2 years, 3 years, etc.), maybe others would find that helpful as well!

7 comments:

Liz said...

Around 18 months, they're really getting into creative play, so toys like shopping carts and food, dolls, little people sets like the farm/dollhouse/noah's ark, things like that are fun for them. M loved getting her own "purse" and loves filling it with things, carrying it around, telling me "bye"!

Liz said...

ps-I'm looking for two year old ideas! :)

Unknown said...

I second all of Liz's suggestions. Disney makes some fun tea sets, and my girls love theirs (beware: they especially love playing in the bathroom sink, and they've seriously doused it a few times).

Oddly enough, both of my girls (19 mo. and 3 1/2) love bugs and snakes--the squishier the better.

For 12-24 mos, Playskool makes a great line of soft plastic cars that move very easily (found at Target), and for 18+ mos, Disney Store sells a three pack of Princess cars that you can "rev up," and they'll go preety fast in whatever direction you rev them (forward or backward). Also, Target has an endcap of $1-2 stuff, and in there is usually a microphone that kids LOVE.

I know these are just small things, but they're seriously the things the kids play with daily. My kids never touch the big stuff.

Chantel said...

Around 18 months to 2 years my kids get something they get to push and put things in. My daughter got a stroller that came with a car seat by Graco. I think I got it at target. My son is almost 2 and has been loving to push his sisters stroller and place cars and other odd items in it so we are getting him a shopping car, I saw one at Target that was a really good price. Also when my son was 13 months we got him one of those activity cubes, a smaller version of one of those wood activities centers that have fun things to play with on all sides. It was only like $12 at Walmart, but he didn't start playing with it until about 18 months and now is almost 2 and loves it. Good luck Christmas shopping.

Stephanie said...

I'm in the same boat as Lindsay for needing 18 mos ideas (thanks for the suggestions everyone.) For people with younger children:

We bought the Leapfrog Learn 'n' Groove Musical Table when she was starting to pull herself up to things. It's been a huge hit, and she still likes playing with it.

For even younger babies, I LOVE the peekaboo blocks. I feel like they grow with her at every stage. When she was little, she loved just gripping onto them. Now she enjoys stacking them and is learning to sort them into the different shapes inside the cube.

Stephanie said...

p.s. Check Craig's list for bigger items like the musical table, we got a killer deal!

Linz said...

THank you!!!!!!!!!