Monday, November 26, 2007

Cleaning Tile and Grout

Earlier this year my husband ripped out our carpeted kitchen floor (an old lady owned the house before us!) and laid a beautiful tile floor, with very, very light grout. Since then the grout has become quite dingy and in preparation for having all of Scott's family over for Christmas Eve, I decided it was time to scrub my floor with the main purpose of whitening my grout again. (I then plan to seal the grout so as not to go through all this again!) I've read several websites and asked my friends and neighbors for advice on what product to use. I'm happy to announce that I've found one that works!!! I'm so, so excited!! (Well, as excited as I can get about cleaning!)

I thought I'd share the product with all of you because this stuff seriously works! My grout is so light that its almost white and after months and months of walking on it, mopping it and the occasional spill, its quite dirty, but this stuff makes it almost white again! Here goes...

1/2 cup of baking soda
1/3 cup of ammonia
1/4 cup of white vinegar
7 cups of water
Combine all the ingredients in a labeled spray bottle and shake well to mix. (Do not use this in conjunction with chlorine bleach or where chlorine bleach has been used.)

I then spray the mixture on my tile and grout, scrub with a hard bristled grout and tile brush, and wipe up the dirt that is dislodged from my grout with a damp sponge. Hope this is helpful for someone!!

Recipe courtesy of www.queenofclean.com, though I've seen the same recipe on various other sites also!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for this! We had the exact same thing happen after my husband tiled our back room. I had pretty much given up on it ever coming clean, and just figured we'd have to re-do it eventually. I'll have to try this! Let me know after you re-seal yours what you used and if it works!

Linz said...

Thanks for the tip!

Claire said...

Stephanie- One thing I read explained why grout gets dirty and is hard to clean- basically there are so many little holes in the grout that mopping just pushes the dirty water from hole to hole. The website recommends using a very, very hard bristled brush. It said that even a toothbrush isn't hard enough to dislodge a lot of the dirt. I didn't realize this, and was frustrated that my scrubbing wasn't doing anything... just thought I'd share! I got my tile and grout brush from Target for less than $3 and its great. It really doesn't take a lot of scrubbing to get the dirt to move out of the grout.