Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Evil Eczema

Hi everyone, let me first say I'm sorry for not getting on this blog for awhile! Ever since my 15-month-old learned how to stand up against the computer desk and grab the mouse every time I sit down, my computer time has been very limited. :)

You girls are just awesome when it comes to giving good advice, and I have another question to throw at you: Have any of you ever dealt with a stubborn case of eczema on your little one's skin? My boy has had it behind his knees for at least five months now. I've tried moisturizers like Aquaphor and Cetaphil, eczema-centered lotions like Aveeno for eczema and Gentle Natural's eczema cream, and even hydrocortisone cream. They all work for a day or two but then the eczema comes back even worse than before. Then I heard eczema can by caused by food allergies, namely milk products, so I tried to eliminate milk from his diet but to no avail. I've used all the suggestions my doctor can give me and none of those work, either. It's starting to get so bad that my boy often itches behind his legs and I can tell it's really bothering him. Have any of you struggled with this before? What did you do?

To go along with it, my baby also has really dry scalp. I've tried cradle cap shampoo but it hasn't taken care of the problem. It's not really cradle cap anyway, because it's not yellow or goopy, just flaky (I'm sure you're lovin' the mental images, by the way). Unless there's Head & Shoulders for babies, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

5 comments:

The Schacher Family said...

Ok well I would look at the type of soap you are using in the bath and laundry. Sensitive skin would be best for both. I personally have severe Eczema and have had it since I was young. I use free and clear laundry soap and Dove sensitive skin soap. I found the dove soap helps my sons skin and when he was younger helped his scalp problem. As far as what to use on the rash I am all about cetaphil. The cetaphil moisturizing cream in the round container is my favorite for my son and me. I put it on after every bath. Also putting on a little hydrocortizone with lotion or vasaline over it helps the rash heal. I would recommend doing that twice a day washing it off the rash before applying with a wash cloth. My doctor recommended that when the eczema was bad on my sons face and when i kept up on it it helped it heal. Anyway I hope that this is helpful and that the rash will heal!

Claire said...

I agree with Susan on the laundry soap. When I broke out in hives and eczema after giving birth to my daughter, the first thing I did was switch everything laundry related to All Free and Clear. I even started to by Oxi Clean Free. It didn't take care of the problem but it helped. My allergist told me to use Vanicream products. They are all natural, and free of all allergy and eczema causing products. They are pricey... like $15 for 16oz of lotion and $4 for a bar of soap, but it helped a ton!! Another thing my allergist suggested was washing my bedding in hot water once a week to keep it as clean as possible. Hopefully you'll find something that works for your son... it is a nasty thing to deal with.

Kage said...

My doc was very specific:

2 minutes (no longer) after the bath, aquafor....7 minutes (no longer), eucerin or aveeno....

It took about 4 days and it was gone on my daughters inner thighs and butt

Aubreydoll said...

My son has had problems with eczema almost since the day he was born! He's allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, and cats (of which we have two!). We tried a bunch of different creams and finally just had to get a prescription cream to start putting on his skin and it really helped.

Have you had him tested for allergies? I know you said you tried to eliminate milk from his diet but it might be something else. Eczema is so hard to deal with so just hang in there and keep looking for a solution!

Julianne said...

For cradle cap I used to put Baby Oil on it, brush it (to get all of the flakes off), and THEN wash it(that always got rid of the symptoms). I've always heard with cradle cap it's better to wash their hair every day.

Good luck!