Monday, February 18, 2008

More Chicken Recipes

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

18 corn tortillas
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small clove of garlic, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 4oz can diced green chillies
grated cheese

Saute onion and garlic in a small amount of butter or oil. Add soup, broth, chicken and green chillies, simmer for 10 minutes. Heat tortillas in hot oil, just to soften, drain on paper towel. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with sauce. Layer tortillas, sauce and cheese until all is used, ending with a layer of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.


Curry Chicken Salad

1 can chicken (2-3 chicken breasts boiled and shredded)
20 grapes, cut in half
1 stick of celery, chopped
2-3 green onions, finely chopped
3-4 Tbsp mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp curry powder

Mix lemon juice and curry powder until curry powder dissolves. Mix into mayo. Add chicken, grapes, celery, and onion. If salad is too dry, add additional mayo.

Serve with yummy bread, croissants, or eat plain!

** We don't eat mayo at our house as neither of us like it! So whenever a recipe calls for mayo, I use plain yogurt. Mayo lovers can't even tell the difference! I usually add more yogurt than the recipe calls for, otherwise its more dry than I like. This is the recipe my friend made for my Michigan bridal shower, oh so long ago. (That's not important... just a random fact!)



Southern Fried Chicken

Several chicken breasts, cut into pieces
Salt to taste, plus 2 tsp
Fresh ground pepper to taste, plus 1 tsp
2 cups buttermilk
1-2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
6 cups canola oil
1 ½ cup flour
½ tsp paprika

Rinse chicken & pat dry. Season with salt & pepper. Place in a large dish, cover & refrigerate for 1-4 hours. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and Tabasco sauce, pour over chicken, coating thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate over night.

Remove chicken from fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Place in a colander to drain excess buttermilk from chicken. Heat oil. Combine flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper & paprika. Coat chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry in oil until cooked through.

For crispier chicken, dip in buttermilk, then flour mixture a second time before frying.
Delicious served with corn on the cob and biscuits.

** Just as a side note- I tend to change recipes to suit my needs... in this case, the original recipe called for using a whole chicken cut into pieces. I have a hard time with meat anyway- for the most part if I deal with it raw, I have a hard time eating it, so the thought up cutting up a whole chicken was too much for me! Instead I use chicken breasts and because I really like the breading, I cut them into small pieces so the "chicken to breading ratio" is higher! Also, I am not a fried chicken fan but my husband could and would live on KFC if allowed! I found this recipe in my Williams Sonoma catalog and decided to try it, and I absolutely love it! We've finally found fried chicken that we can both enjoy!

No comments: