Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pregnancy Trivia

Well, my first child is now 16 mos old. I don't know when exactly #2 will come along, but we are definitely at least talking about it. I have to say though, I'm pretty nervous. Not about actually having another child, but about the pregnancy. I was MISERABLE the first time around. I was one of those lucky ones where morning sickness is an understatement, and instead I felt awful 24/7, and threw up all day long. It lasted about 6 months, at the end of which, I was already huge and uncomfortable! Anyway, the point is, it's hard to look forward to another nine months of that! Of course there were things I loved, like feeling the baby move, hearing the heartbeat, etc. But I'm really worried about feeling so awful, and yet still being able to give the time and attention I need to, to my toddler. My mom says it might be easier, because it'll keep my mind off it. I have received lots of encouragement from people who say they were the sickest with their first, or gained the most weight with the first, etc. I thought it would be fun to poll the biggest group of mommies I know, and ask those of you that have had more than one pregnancy, how they have compared. Were they pretty similar to each other, or were you a lot more/less sick with one of them? Obviously I'll venture into the pregnancy world again sooner or later, regardless, because the result is definitely worth it. But it'll sure make me feel better to hear some of you say the second pregnancy was easier, or at least not worse!!!!

9 comments:

Joni said...

Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I was puking non-stop it seemed until 18 weeks with my first, a girl. I also got pre-eclampsia (toxemia) with her and was induced early. Everyone said the first was the "trailblazer" and it was bound to get easier.

Fast forward to baby number two. My husband was sure it was a girl because the pregnancy was EXACTLY the same except that this time I had a toddler to take care of. I puked just as much and got pre-eclampsia again and was induced early again.

Needless to say, I'm terrified of doing this again, even though I've vowed I'd give it one more shot.

I am resting all my hope on the wonder drug "Zofran." I hear it works miracles for morning sickness.

Joni said...

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention my second was a boy.

My sister, just to give you some hope has had five and gets progressively less sick with each one.

Bottom line, there's no way to know.

Linz said...

Interesting poll.

I'm in pregnancy #2. Mine has been VERY similar to my first (and has also been a girl both times). If anything, some symptoms have been a bit better this time around. I have never had it as bad as you though. My guess is that the 2nd time around you'll feel a bit better.

My first trimester felt very much the same from a physical standpoint, but it was harder for me to deal with this time around because I wasn't working full-time (working completely took my mind off of it). When you're working, you don't really have an option as to whether or not you'll do what is required of you. When you're at home, getting off the couch to play with your kid feels more optional. That sounds horrible, but it's just how I felt. Somehow, my one year old seemed unaffected by how gross I felt. I just tried to force myself to do things that I certainly did not feel like doing, for her sake, and it ended up making me feel good too (for example: get outside, go to the park, go to a playdate).

Liz said...

my second pregnancy so far (I'm only 12 weeks) has been fairly similar to the first but in general, I have felt better. My sister in law, I swear, gets sicker with every boy she has, though! I am very lucky though. i don't throw up much, just feel crappy and blah now and then. I think with a toddler, since I wasn't that sick the first time, I have had the mindset of, I have to do this. Even though I feel like crap, the house still has to get clean! And it happens. somehow....

Bethany said...

I am almost done with my second pregnancy and everything about it has been easier. I didn't get as sick in the beginning and I'm not as uncomfortable here at the end. I think it really helped me at the beginning to have another child to take care of because I didn't focus as much on how I was feeling. FYI - First one, girl. Second, boy.

Chantel said...

Sorry to say, but mine have gotten worse. I start getting sick before I even miss my period. I think everyone handles each pregnancy differently. I found it was easier to have a little one, my daughter was 16 months when I started to get pregnan, then to have her be older. She is more set in her ways to a routine at 4. Something positive about morning sickness though is that you don't feel great while pregnant, but comparitively you feel great after they are born and that helps with all the new baby craziness.

Stephanie said...

Joni, I took Zofran almost my entire pregnancy. It definitely helps take the edge of nausea, however for me it wasn't a wonder drug. It helped me throw up 5 times a day instead of ten! :)

kristi said...

Well, I am currently a little more than half way through my 4th pregnancy and everything is pretty much the same. Lucky for me though, I have really good pregnancies. I usually throw up at least once with each one but not a whole lot more than that. I do get the yucky nausea and it seemed like I got about a week more with each one. But luckily never more than 3 or so weeks. I throw up more at the beginning this time because I had a cold and was very phlemmy so, it made my stomach turn and there was no going back. First 3 were boys and this one is a girl.

The Schacher Family said...

I don't have two yet to compare but I would say it will be worth it in the end. I am sorry that you have so much trouble. You should look into some other things to help you not be so sick. My sisters who have multiple children say it does get better for them. I hope it does for you too!!