Monday, February 18, 2008

Mediterranean Chicken

8 oz Orzo pasta
1 lb chicken breast halves
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion
2 tsp minced garlic (2-3 crushed cloves)
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
½ cup white grape juice
14 oz chopped tomatoes- Italian style with garlic and oregano
4 oz feta cheese


Bring unsalted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until tender (app. 8 min). Drain and set aside.
Heat oil over medium heat. Chop onion and add to skillet. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and add to skillet. Raise heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is done Add garlic, oregano and basil.

When chicken is cooked through, stir in grape juice and cook for one minute. Add tomatoes with their juice and feta cheese. Cook 1 more minute.

Serve over hot, drained orzo pasta.

** This recipe orginially called for white wine, not grape juice. My college roomie and I changed it up to suit our beliefs (and budget!). I usually top each serving with extra feta cheese, but I love feta cheese... My husband is not a feta cheese fan, but in this recipe he loves it. I don't know if cooking it helps, but somehow in this recipe the feta also seems more mild than eating it plain. So, if you aren't a feta cheese lover, I still suggest trying it with this recipe because that's what gives it the Mediteranean flavour. Also- try to use Greek oregano. There is a difference! I buy it in bulk for less than 50 cents an ounce at my local health/whole foods store.


**Also, I've made this recipe using fresh tomatoes from the garden and it tastes awesome that way! I cut a small "x" at the top of the tomato then blanch it (dip it in boiling water for about a minute, then immediately immerse in ice water). The skin then slides off. Then I chop them, add some garlic, oregano and basil, then add to the recipe same as if I were using canned tomatoes.