Monday, February 25, 2008

Quiet Books

I'm going to piggy back off Katie's post about church activities for toddlers... My mom had a quiet book that she brought to church for us to play with. I remember having a lot of fun playing with it when I was younger, and then watching each of my siblings enjoy it as well. I'd like to make a quiet book for Cecelia, so I've been looking around online for ideas and instructions. I thought I'd share what I've found, and if any of you have ideas or links to other sites, I'd love to see those also.

Martha Stewart has a very basic set of instructions for making a quiet book here. Not a lot of detail, but there are a few pages of download-able pattern you can use.

This site has a tutorial on making a quiet book also. She doesn't show how to make each specific page, but gives general instructions on how to put it together. Photos included!

This quiet book is my favourite... its designed by an LDS mom, so all of the pages are church centered! She includes clipart for tracing, and very good instructions for designing each page and putting it all together.

There are also quiet books available for purchase at various internet stores. I found that most are around $30, which doesn't seem very expensive to me, considering that they are (for the most part!) hand made. Just google "quiet books" and many options will pop up. Here are links to a couple of sites that sell quiet books. I love browsing through the photos to get ideas for Cecelia's book.

Dry Creek Design Quiet Books
My Book of Mormon Quiet Book
theideadoor.com Quiet Book ideas 1
theideadoor.com Quiet Book ideas 2
Time4Felt

9 comments:

llzito said...

Hi - Thanks for finding my Dry Creek Design Quiet Books. I am trying to get the patterns ready for each book so that I can sell them to you ambitious ones out there. I am also working on quiet books with flaps that can be personalized with your photos - will be adding Book of Mormon and numbers soon also!

Team Laws said...

We did these for a Ward activity one time. I have a "Bishop's Quiet Book" in my office. Please consider participating in my blog:

I am doing a project in response to Pres HB Eyring's talk in Oct 07 General Conf. I invite you to participate!
(instructions "a participate link")
http://comingtochrist.blogspot.com/
Thanks
PD Laws
Pensacola, FL

MissE said...

Another *great* source I have found for quiet books and other quiet educational toys for children is countryfolkcollection.com. Seriously, there is nothing like this stuff -- and they offer LDS activies as well! All of it is ready made for all those busy, non-sewing moms out there -- and is very reasonably priced.

grandma said...

Has anyone bought any of these quiet books? I was wondering how you like them if you have. I am going to order one from the Dry Creek Place - they seem really cute. Will let you know what they are like and how well made.

grandma said...

I got the quiet books - they are so cute - seem to be well made too and obviously done by hand!!! My grandkids (ages 2 and 4)loved them, I help with them during church when their dad has to work. I bought the Western and the Nursery Rhyme ones. The grandkids couldn't do all of the activities, but they can learn. It kept them busy through more than 1/2 of Sacrament meeting!! I also bought a bugs and critters peek a boo bag. http://www.tctwest.net/~dcdesign/peekaboo.html It was passed up and down the entire row and I had to ask for it back afterwards. I am ordering more of those for my other grandkids for Christmas.

Fowler family said...

Hi Claire,

I just started a blog with instructions/pictures on how to make a really cool quiet book. Check it out: www.quietbook.blogspot.com

I'm open to any suggestions or comments

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

thanks so much for the info!! I hope you have a fabulous week!! hugs!! Britt :-)

Cadenza said...

just a note in case someone stumbles on this page as I did. The dry creek designs link now takes you to a page with malware--don't go there unless you want a trojan attacking your computer. You can find the books now at http://www.drycreekdesign.com/quiet-books.html

MissE said...

Also - just as an update, countryfolkcollection.com has updated their website to make it more user friendly. Great stuff!