Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Food storage

I am way excited about this week's recipe topic because, it is one area that I think I can contribute to. A little background first... my husband grew up on a ranch in Montana. They grew wheat and barley and raised beefalo. So when I got married, I married into a family that knows how to use their food storage! (compared to my family who didn't have food storage and the most wheat we ate came from Aunt Millie's "wheat" bread). So I was a clueless wife when it came to food storage. But since I wanted to be the perfect wife, and recreate (and perhaps try to top) every good memory my husband had from growing up of his family's eating habits, I threw myself into food storage mania. So, if it's alright, before I post recipes, I think there are some basic myths that need to be cleared up about food storage (I'm glad the church is trying to clear these myths up as well with their recent launch of a new food storage program that began last March). I'll also try to post info each day about different food storage items.

Myth #1- Food storage is just a bunch of beans and wheat.
Reality: Chances of us ever having to live on food storage alone for 6 months is very rare. So the chances of you having to use your food storage WITHOUT access to cheese, eggs, etc. is also pretty rare. What we always hear is true... store what you eat, and eat what you store. So if that's Mac and Cheese, jars of salsa, frozen veggies, peanut butter, canned applesauce, or cheese that you keep in the freezer, than that can all be food storage. It doesn't have to last 30 years in your closet for it to be considered food storage. Plus, wheat isn't the only grain out there. Experiment a little to find a grain you do like. Also consider keeping some chocolate in your food storage (or other yummy candy). If there is an emergency, it'd be nice to have some candy around for the kids (and you)!

Myth #2- I don't need food storage
Reality- Firstly, it's prophetic counsel. Secondly, let me share a personal experience. My husband and I had acquired 9 months food storage for 2 1/2 people before moving from MI in May. Now... it's almost gone. Our "disaster" was grad school. We ended up in a high cost apartment and the amount Cornell gives us to live on is really only enough for a single student... not a family. So we HAD to rely on our food storage. Food storage is not just for times of war, unemployment or natural disaster. But for times when resources are drained (costly medical emergency) or limited (college), ice storms, sickenss, power outages, the list goes on.

Myth #3- I don't have a place to store my food.
Reality- space may be limited in an apartment, but with a little creative thinking, food can be packed anywhere. Just think of the movie, "R.M"... under beds, in closests, make a couch with wheat buckets as a support (j/k). It becomes a fun adventure trying to squeeze it in.

Myth #4- Food storage is too expensive
Reality- It is if you try to buy one year supply all at once. We started a $5 a week plan... we spend only $5 a week on food storage (either by actually spending it, or throwing it into a saving's account for something pricier... like wheat or a wheat grinder). By buying a few extra things when they are on sale and slowly adding to your supply, you won't feel the effects of the added cost.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little and sort of makes food storage look a little less daunting.

Recipes to follow.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Fabulous information. Thank you. I can't wait to learn more.

Linz said...

Thank you so much, Jen L.

Megan said...

Great info, Jen. Can you share with us the types of food storage you have? Do you have the food that you get at the cannery or stuff from the grocery store? What is an average recipe or dinner that you have with your food storage? It sounds like you are the food storage guru among us. I've heard horror stories of people living on rice and cinnamon when the money ran out - I'm glad you had better food storage to fall back on!