Thursday, March 13, 2008

candles

I burn candles a lot, mostly to get food smells out of my kitchen. When I have piano students over, I don't want them to have to smell my dinner. Plus, I don't want to smell what I cooked for dinner the previous night when I wake up in the morning. Anyway, I love Yankee Candles, and I usually purhcase them when I can buy one and get one free. I'm wondering if there are more affordable options out there where the candles actually release enough scent to get other smells out. Some of the generic candles I have just don't do the trick. Any suggestions? There was a post about Scentsy awhile back. I thought those sounded cool, but I assumed that it was a type of room fragrance that was continuous. Am I right about that? I don't necessarily want something that will always be releasing its fragrance, just something I can use like after dinner.

6 comments:

Claire said...

I have recently fallen in love with Glade candles, and for around $2 each at Walmart, its hard to go wrong! I usually buy a couple in the same scent and light them at different spots in my house and it fills the whole place with smell.

Natalie said...

Scentsy-you just plug in and the smell will start. The only problem is they are cute, but they don't keep their scent that long...I would try the Glade candles too.

Brianna said...

You need to buy an oil warmer and oils from bath and body works, bed bath and beyond or the body shop. It's a little expensive to get started but once you have a few oil scents they last a long time. The smell is instant and you can light up only when wanted.
(Yankee also has oils)

Stephanie said...

One solution is to get a candle warmer. It makes the candle last A LOT longer. The downfall is once you use the warmer, you can't burn it the other way anymore, because the wick is buried. Also, it takes longer for the scent to "emerge" because the candle is melting from the bottom up. But I tend to like the more expensive candles too, (Gold Canyon is my favorite) so it's a good way to make them last longer. I like to have one candle on hand that can be burned, and one for the warmer.

Linz said...

Awesome thanks!

Amanda said...

I suggest if you want to warm candles, don't go with a candle warmer - I think they take way too long to get the smell going.

I got a candle warmer lamp (just do a search on amazon or somewhere like that). It uses a small heat lamp to melt the candle from the top. I get scent within a couple of minutes! They are a little expensive - $25-30 compared to typical $5 candle warmers.