Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Super Late Recipe Posts

So...I'm pretty much the slowest person ever on getting recipes posted...but I figured better late than never. So...without further delay:

Slow Cooker Recipes:
Chicken and Corn Chili
4 chicken breast halves
1 (16 oz) jar salsa
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can corn (or the equivalent of frozen corn)
2 cans black beans
1 can diced tomatoes

Place chicken breast halves and salsa in your crock pot or slow cooker. Season with spices. Cook 6-8 hours on low setting.

About 3-4 hours before you want to eat, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Return the chicken to the pot and continue cooking. Stir in the corn, beans and tomatoes and simmer until ready to serve.

Entrees with Chicken:
Caramelized Baked Chicken
3/4 c. ketchup
3/4 c. honey
1/2 c. soy sauce
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
6 chicken breasts

Cook ingredients (except chicken) on stove until boiling and reduce heat. Pour on top of chicken and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (I like to save a little of the sauce to pour over my chicken and the rice that I have with it after its cooked.)

Soup/Chili:
Blue Ribbon Chili
1-2 lbs. ground beef or turkey (depending on how meaty you like it)
1/2 onion chopped
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) jar salsa (medium or hot is best)
4 T. chili seasoning mix
2 cans kidney beans
corn (frozen or canned) to taste (opt.)
water to taste

Combine the ground meat and onion and saute for 10 minutes or until the meat is browned and the onion is tender. Drain grease. Add all of the ingredients to a large sauce pan. Mix well. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least one hour. Serve with sour cream, cornbread, cheese and chips!

Food Storage Recipe:
Okay...so this is actually a corn bread...but we recently got a wheat grinder that we like to make cornmeal in...so I figured that it sort of counts as a food storage recipe. Also...we use freshly ground wheat for the flour. My husband and I CRAVE this its so good!
Golden Sweet Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil*
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk, vanilla and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*It's good to use a little more oil for less flaky cornbread.

**I got all of these from allrecipes.com. I love that place! I just search for ingredients and only use 4.5 star recipes or better. It's great! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

I love allrecipes.com, too! I have my select few items in my cookbooks that I use, but I get most of my stuff off of allrecipes now!

Claire said...

I love allrecipes.com also! My favourite thing about that website is all the comments people include with recipes. I love reading about how people tweaked the recipe to make it even more yummy.