Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Coupons, coupons, coupons....

So I am wondering if some of you coupon cutters could enlighten me. I really think that clipping coupons can really help your grocery bill, however, I am in the search to find a way to organize them and use them effectively and efficiently. Currently, I have two Sunday papers coming to my house and I cut out the coupons that I will actually use and store them in plastics in a binder according to their category. The problem is that when I go to use them at the grocery store, I have so many that I end up feeling frustrated that I don't have them more organized so they are easier and quicker to use.

Do any of you utilize coupons and have a method that works for you? They say that groceries are one of a families biggest expenses, so i am hoping to find a way to use coupons and save, save, save!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Well, I stick to a pretty strict list when I grocery shop, so for the most part, I have my coupons pulled out of my binder before I even get into the grocery store. If for any reason, I pick up something that isn't on my list, then I pull out the appropriate coupon in the middle of the grocery store. I don't love to do that, but it has happened on occasion.

Linz said...

Where are the best places to get coupons from? I only have them with me at the store on occasion if I happen to get one in the mail or in a magazine. Does it pay off to subscribe to the Sunday paper?

Sorry to ask questions instead of offer suggestions!

Claire said...

I decided it was worth subscribing to the paper when I found a deal where I get the paper for $1 a week. (That's just for the Sunday paper)I definitely save a dollar a week in coupons!! My MIL is a fabulous coupon shopper... she often gets the stores to PAY HER to take stuff off their shelves! She'll often tell me what stores to use certain coupons at to get really, really good deals.

Crystal said...

I LOVE coupons, but I am not super schooled in the best ways to use them. When I clip coupons, I only clip ones for things I would actually buy (I never buy things like crescent rolls or pie dough but there are ALWAYS coupons for those, so I don't clip them). Then I make my shopping list/meal plan for the week based on the weekly grocery store ads. If there is something I know I need and I have a coupon for it, I use it then, otherwise if it is for pantry items that I don't actually need that week, I check the ads to see if there are sales on certain items that I use a lot to stock up on while I have a valid coupon. For example, I buy cereal when they are on sale in the ads and I have a coupon for them. I can usually get a box for $1.50 or less this way instead of the $3-4 that they cost when not on sale and no coupon.