Friday, January 26, 2007

Bread and Butter

When I was in high school I was concerned with what I ate and thought that the way to go was low-fat. So everyday lunch was a bagel (with nothing on it), pretzels, applesauce, and a granola bar. I now know that that was a carb-tastic lunch! These days my lunch usually consists of fruits, vegetables, and whole grain bread. It seems like we've learned a lot in the past couple of years particularly about whole grains, trans fats, hydrogenated oils, and the like. At least I'm learning before feeding solids to the baby! Here are a few products that I buy regularly (and that even my hubby enjoys).

Smart Balance Buttery Spread

Barilla Plus Pasta

Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter


Do you have any recommendations?

4 comments:

stacibee said...

We just purchased whole grain noodles for the first time this last grocery shopping visit. I'm excited to see how it tastes. I felt healthier just putting the box of noodles in our cart!

Unknown said...

We've been eating whole grains with everything but sweets for a few years now. My husband wasn't impressed at first, but I found that the whole grain angel hair pasta didn't taste as dense and dry as the regular spaghetti.

Also, if you're trying to get more nutrients, brown rice is better for you than white (but you have to add about twice as much water). However, I just learned that because of the oil in the brown rice, you shouldn't store large quantities (like a year's supply). Japanese short rice is supposed to be the best for storage, followed by regular white rice. (I store jasmine rice because that's what I ate on my mission and I use it like crazy, even though it has more oil than the regular white.)

katie said...

My husband and I really like veggie sandwiches. We just use some whole wheat bread (he prefers the honey whole wheat because he thinks it tastes less like wheat), and we put some romaine lettuce, sometimes spinach, green and red bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Then I put a thin layer of cream cheese on mine, he prefers mayonnaise. We think they are yummy!

Mindi said...

I think the only person I know on this blogger is Staci, so just so you know my name is Mindi Gordon.
Anyway I too buy the smart balance spread, I actually buy the light. They also make smart balance oil, mayonaise, and peanut butter. I didn't love the peanut butter, it wasn't very sweet so I'll have to try the natural skippy. And I have tried a few different types of whole wheat pasta and the barilla tastes the best, by far. Some of the other stuff tates too grainy, kind of a texture thing for me.