Friday, January 26, 2007

Calling all Moms!

Does anyone have advice on how to make the transition from bassinet to crib successful? My daughter is 4 1/2 months old, and I have been trying to get her to sleep in her crib for a month now. Normally I give up after 2-3 tries each night, and I only try on the weekends (for my husband's sake). She will sleep for 10-20 minutes then puts her arms out to feel the sides of her bassinet and wakes up immediately when she can't feel them. Then she cries and cries. She will not fall asleep while crying - no matter what - she just works herself up into hysterics! Just hoping for any tips or secrets that other mothers have found to be helpful. Thanks!

3 comments:

stacibee said...

That's an awesome question. I had my little boy in the bassinet for 3 1/2 months and then moved him to his own room and crib. For us, it was kind of a battle of wills. We dealt with the crying and screaming thing too. I knew I had to stick it out for a couple of days (almost a week really) in order for it to stick, and it did. For me and my husband it was worth a few sleepless nights.
It was kind of a sad, difficult transition for both me and baby...but man, it's so great to have the room back to ourselves (me and husband) and has made a positive impact on our relationship too. The whole family seems a little happier now.
So, I guess my advice is to be brave and strong. It's worth the tears and black under your eyes for a couple days!

Aubreydoll said...

We also had that problem. Our son liked to be cuddled when he slept and so he would wake up whenever we set him down. The thing that worked for us was a thing called a Secure Sleeper. It has foam sides and a soft foam pad for their heads, but it keeps them tucked in and feeling, well, secure!

Anonymous said...

I think that just about everyone with a new baby has that problem. Me also being one of them. My first son never slept in a bassinet, but my 2nd and 3rd sons did. If i remember correctly they both stopped sleeping through the night when we made the change. I was going to suggest something just like aubreydoll. A sleep positioner might help your baby feel more secure.