Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dry Skin

Tis' the season for dry skin, I suppose. My poor son was destined to be cursed with eczema since both my husband and I have it running through our families. I can handle the dry, chapped skin during the summer months and control it fairly well, but this freezing cold, dry winter season in Utah is about to do me in!
When we asked the pediatrician about it originally, he recommended hydrocordizone ointment, which has seemed to work fairly well. I also happened upon a miracle treatment called "Aloe Gold" which is aloe in a liquid form. I put about a teaspoon of the liquid in his bottle every morning, which seems to help as well. We hurry and apply heavy duty lotion over his whole body every time he takes a bath to try and seal all that moisture in his cute lil' skin.
Am I forgetting anything or not doing something that might help? If you've got any suggestions, please share. I'm just praying the poor kid will grow out of it sooner than later!

5 comments:

kristi said...

Luckily my boys have not gotten my dry skin, but I have a nephew who has it very bad. I mean he scabs and bleeds, it is awful. I can ask my sister in law if she has any suggestions for you.

Linz said...

I wish I could shed some light, Stac. You guys seem to be taking care of it really well given the circumstances. I just want to say, however, that reading this brings back memories of 1996 at WV when you gave a speech on eczema and your cute little bro walked through the aisles of desks to show us his arms. He was so cute! He's also like two times as tall now!

stacibee said...

Ha, ha, ha! Lindsay, I didn't even remember that!! That's so funny! Good ole' WVHS!

Missy said...

I have found that Aquaphor works fabulously on chapped faces. My 4-month-old has eczema on her face and my children just get chapped cheeks in general from the cold MN weather. I also use it on my knuckles when they get cracked and dry from all my daily laboring around the house. ;)

J + A Humphreys said...

Hey Stace - we did the whole eczema thing in Chicago last winter and the best thing that worked for James was Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Daily Replenishing Lotion. (you can get it wherever) We put it on after every bath and when I changed his outfit for the day. Within a week it was under control and we just stuck with it through the winter. No problems since we have been in SD.