Monday, February 9, 2009

Jocelyn Christensen: Member Spotlight

Basics

What is your age and physical description?

I am 31 years old (4 foot 2, eyes of blue…)  Just kidding, I’m 5’8, and fairly athletic although I did just have three babies in that many years, so cut me a little slack!  I have blue eyes and various shades of light brown hair that as of late reaches to about my shoulders.  Where ever I go complete strangers think that they know me from… somewhere.  It’s always flattering.  I hope it means that I connect well with people, but perhaps it just means that I look like a lot of other people out there!!

Where were you born and where are you now?

I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and lived in the same house all of my growing up years, just down the street from Lake Erie.  I consider Washington, DC my second home.  I spent the best years of my career there and met and married my husband there.  Now we live in Lewisburg, PA (Just look at a map of PA and put your finger right in the center…that’s where we are!)

What do you do for a living?

I am a journalist by trade, a full-time stay-at-home mother for a living, a freelance writer for distraction and for fun.

What is your favorite and least favorite color?

I like jewel-tones (red, mauve, fuchsia, pinks)

Did you go to college and get a degree, If so, where & what?

I went to Miami University (where Laura Farkas and Wally Szczerbiak went and lots of other lovely people who I MISS terribly!  I miss gawking at Wally in the dining hall.)

I got two bachelor degrees…Mass Comm and Poli Sci

How many children do you have? How old are they?

I have three babies – ages 3 years, 20 months, and 3 months

What’s your favorite and least favorite food?

Don’t even ask me that question…I am trying to lose my baby-fat!

Are you right or left handed?

Right-handed, of course!  I am not creative enough to be a lefty!

Do you play any instruments?

 I play the trumpet.

What are your hobbies?

My biggest hobby has always been NETWORKING.  I love being connected to people.  “Make new friends, but keep the old,” really stuck with me ever since Girl Scouts.

Writing…always writing.

I LOVE Volleyball…and miss playing a lot, since I’ve been in baby-mode.

Make You Think...

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Lots of things and everything all at once.  i.e. a ballerina (wrong body-type), President of the United States (too complicated), a country singer (can’t sing that great!), a stay-at-home mother, a TV anchor, a CEO of some company…  Obviously I had to learn to prioritize these dreams, but the TV news biz and Mommying seem to be working out well so far!

What is your biggest fear?

I fear not listening to my heart…because I know what happens when I fail to do that.

Who has touched your life and influenced you the most and why?

My parents – They are brave, stalwart, and have a lot of integrity.

Quiet people who teach me about Christ through their every-day actions…it is very humbling to me.

If you could accomplish just one thing with your life, what would that be and why?

Raise a righteous generation of leaders who will follow the Lord, lift the burdens of others, and make the world a better place.  I want my family to turn out like the stripling warriors mentioned in the Book of Mormon.  Just thinking about the lies that Satan tells people makes my blood boil (don’t even get me started!), so I kind of make it my business to stand for truth and righteousness every chance I get.  It is my deep desire to do a good job of that during my lifetime.

What is your worst habit and if you could quit it, would you?

I truly wish I listened more and talked less!  I get really excited and want to TALK to people and share my crazy stories…but that tends to make me a bad listener at times, and I feel bad about that!  I really admire good listeners.  Yes, I want to change that about myself for sure!

Who would play you in the movie of your life? Who would play your husband?

Oh my gosh, that is a tough question…I have NO IDEA.  I have been told that I look like Jewel (that was a long time ago though!) and that chick from Every Day Italian.  I don’t know if they represent my in any way except looks though...and that's even a stretch!  Lance Armstrong would play my husband, because he’s totally in to biking – but my husband has less hair and a lot more admirable traits, I must say!  (Yes, I realize none of those people are actually actors!)

What songs would make up the soundtrack of your life and why?

Definitely a mixed tape with every genre of music.  

If you could meet any one person in history, who would it be, and why?

In history?  Well, I have actually met a lot of people through my jobs in TV who MADE history and LIVED history.  But I would really like to meet my great-great grandmother on my mother’s father’s side…Uh, I’m a bit stuck on her in my family history research.  And I grow more curious about her every day…

If you lost everything you have tomorrow, what three things would you save and why?

(We’re not counting Family and Scriptures and Journals are we???)

Other than that…I’d save…nope that’s all I’d save.

What is your favorite quote and why?

I don’t really have one…but I have from time to time had my favorite “magic words”  (i.e. toss him an ego bisquit, remember the tool of your trade, be strong) and I have lots of favorite movie quotes, such as "Nobody puts baby in a corner."  "Change your stars..." and "I quit, Mr. White"  (a prize if you know what movies I'm talking about!)

Just For Fun

Do you sleep with the closet door open or closed?

Closed…I don’t need that mess staring at me while I sleep, thank you!

What is your biggest pet peeve?

I don’t really have one…but snobbery makes me roll my eyes and infidelity makes me want to cry.

Where are the top three places you'd like to travel to?

England (again), Brazil, the moon.

Do you ever dance for no reason even though there’s no music playing?

There is always music playing in my head…and there is always a reason to dance! J

What size is your bed?

None of your business!   LOL

What do you drink with dinner?

Water or milk

What movies could you watch over and over and still love?

Dirty Dancing (my husband hates it though!)

What was the first concert you went to?

Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, and Cracker – my older sister’s boyfriend took me at my mom’s request to keep me safe!

What is on your perfect pizza?

Pep and mushrooms

What's the most exotic place you've traveled to?

Exotic…nothing much to share in the travel department.  Although, there are some very “exotic” places within the US that very few people get to see.  I’m thinking of places I’ve been to while I worked in local and national news…a small scary town in Kentucky the morning after a stabbing, the living room of a beloved and famous gold-medal winning swimmer the day after she died (I got to hold her medals!), inside a White House press conference with President Clinton sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with my idols in the journalism world…and on and on.  These are some of my favorite “exotic” places I have been to!

8 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I put a bunch of links in there to explain things people might not be familiar with...but I don't think you can see them because I had to change the font color...so if you don't understand something I wrote, run your mouse over it...there's probably a link in there!

Tiffany said...

Dirty Dancing, A Knight's Tale and That Thing You Do! (right?) I love movie quotes...and all of those movies. :)

It was fun getting to know more about you! Good job on the three babies in three years!!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Ding, ding, ding...You are right on all three counts. Guess I better think up a prize now! LOL

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh, yeah, and Laura Farkas is actually Laura Roth for anyone who didn't know!

Liz said...

That was fun to read!!

Claire said...

I love your list of exotic places. And I love Dirty Dancing as well, and my husband doesn't!

So fun to learn more about you.

Bethany said...

I agree...your list of exotic places sounds very interesting! I enjoyed reading about you.

The Stump Clan said...

Dirty Dancing is the best! Nice to learn more about you- thanks for sharing!