Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weaning advice needed!!

Kalli just turned one almost a month ago and I have decided it is time to be done breastfeeding. My reasons for this decision are:
a. She eats solids like a champ
b. She does pretty well drinking whole milk
c. I think my milk is slowly drying up anyways
d. When her 12 teeth chomp down on me, blood is usually drawn!

My son would never breastfeed so this is my first experience with weaning and I want to know what works best for you gals.

Right now she nurses maybe once or twice during the day, but not for very long. I am assuming this is because I don't have much milk right now. The only time she nurses and I think she is really getting anything is her early morning feeding she still does.

So, what do I do? Cold turkey it or what? Do I start giving her a bottle of milk in the early morning (4-5 am) (I know she doesn't need to eat then, it is her comfort thing) or just stop the early morning feed altogether (which I know I can do)? I think the only time she might really be upset is in the morning because during the day she barely nurses at all.

Any and all advice is welcome, I just want this to be as quick and painless as possible. Thanks!!

3 comments:

Linz said...

I would go cold turkey and just stop. She may be upset for a day or two but then I think she will be over it. That is how it is with most things I've noticed! Those two days aren't always fun but then the trial is over after that.

katie said...

I ditto Linz. I weaned Reagan at 13 months when I knew I was pregnant, and I just stopped cold turkey. She was doing morning and evening nursings, but after a day or two she was fine with just Milk. You can do it! I can't believe you already made it over a year!

The Schacher Family said...

I would cold turkey also. I just cold turkeyed with my 4 month old and I think that was easier for both of us. I wouldn't replace the morning feeding with milk if she doesn't need to eat. Just quit feeding her at that time. Or something I have heard works and worked with my son when he was a little younger is give them water and if they aren't hungry they won't really drink it. or if they do it supposedly gets them to stop waking at that time because they don't need the water or something like that. GOOD LUCK!