Saturday, June 28, 2008

Abundance

I just finished reading "A New Earth" by Echart Tolle. You may have heard of it from Oprah. My sister recommended it to me and I really loved it. There were so many moments where I thought, "Wow, that is so true", or "That totally makes sense". He definitely put new ideas into my mind as well. I haven't had a chance to watch the Oprah podcasts along with it, but if you have time and are interested, that is highly recommended from my sister.

Here is an excerpt that really hit me. Perhaps it can give you a little extra inspiration this week:

"Who you think you are is also intimately connected with how you see yourself treated by others. Many people complain that others do not treat them well enough. 'I don't get any respect, attention, recognition, acknowledgement," they say. 'I'm being taken for granted.' When people are kind, they suspect hidden motives. 'Others want to manipulate me, take advantage of me. Nobody loves me.'

Who they think they are is this: 'I am a needy little me' whose needs are not being met.' This basic misperception of who they are creates dysfunction in all their relationships. They believe they have nothing to give and that the world or other people are withholding from them what they need. Their entire reality is based on an illusory sense of who they are. It sabotages situations, mars all relationships. If the thought of lack-whether it be money,recognition, or love-has become part of who you think you are, you will always experience lack. Rather than acknowledge the good that is already in your life, all you see is lack. Acknowledging the good that is already in your life is the foundation for all abundance. The fact is: Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world. (emphasis added) You are withholding it because deep down you think you are small and that you have nothing to give.

Try this for a couple of weeks and see how it changes your reality: Whatever you think people are withholding from you-praise, appreciation, loving care, and so on-give it to them. You don't have it? Just act as if you had it, and it will come. Then, soon after you start giving, you will start receiving. You cannot receive what you don't give. Outflow determines inflow. Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you already have, but unless you allow it to flow out, you won't even know that you have it. This includes abundance. The law that outflow determines inflow is expressed by Jesus in this powerful image: "Give and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap."

7 comments:

Claire said...

Wow. I want to read this book!! That passage is amazing. I have a friend who I really wish would read this passage... she often says mean and hurtful things and I think a big part of why she does that is because she does not think highly of herself. She thinks she's fat, ugly, has no money, etc. Of course, those things aren't true, but because she doesn't believe she is worth much, she doesn't believe anyone else who tells her how wonderful she is. I eventually had to pull myself out of the relationship because it was becoming toxic. I didn't like the way I felt around her, and no matter what I said or did, she continued to drag herself, and often me, down.

Bethany said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've seen this book all over the place lately and have been curious about it.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great book! It reminds me of what we say in the Church-if you don't have a testimony of something, live it until you do! So was it the kind of book that you were eager to pick up every day? Sometimes with non-fiction, I have a hard time getting into the books, even if they're good.

Linz said...

When I read the first chapter, I felt like I was reading a different language, but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. It's only 300 pages and the font and spacing is kind of big so it goes by fast.

Bethany said...

The quote really hits home. Thanks. I think I'll try to find a copy.

Bethany said...

p.s. This is Bethany VH posting, I don't know how/why my "vh" disappeared.

Julianne said...

I own this book as well, although I haven't finished it yet. So far, so good!!