Monday, June 30, 2008

What's in a Name?

Another mommy blog I belong to had an interesting conversation going about "naming conventions". I loved reading everyone's responses so I thought I'd ask the S&S girls... do you have a method to naming your children? Do you look for a certain type of name, whether it be ethnicity, meaning, time period, etc? I'd love to hear how your children got their names...

For us, we wanted names with family ties, that aren't too trendy and somewhat old fashioned (we like to call them classic!). Of course, it seemed that right as I got pregnant the old fashion names made a comeback and several of the names we like are becoming quite popular. Olivia is one that we really love and will probably never use! Our little girl is named Cecelia Shannon. Cecelia is my great grandmother and Shannon is the name of Scott's older sister who passed away when she was only 2.5 months old. I love that we have stories to share with Cecelia regarding why her name is so special. I hope that as she learns about the two great women she is named after that she will feel a special bond with them and be proud to carry their names.

5 comments:

kristi said...

The only family names my kids have are there middle names. Their first names are just names we liked. No theme about them.

Linz said...

We pick names where we only have met like 1 or 2 people who have that name. We pick names that we hear and just totally feel like US.

Bethany said...

My husband loves Star Wars. I know how geeky this makes us sound, but we're not!! He's always wanted a Luke and Leia. Eventually we'll have a leia. Right now we have Luke and Harrison. Middle names were hard for us to choose.

katie said...

Presidential names - Reagan and Kennedy.

Julianne said...

Our middle names have some family tie as well, but not first names. Did you guys find it harder to name your children after the first? For me, I felt like saying their names had to flow. It ended up all our girls names rhyme, which I think is cute now! We have a Tyler (our only boy), and then the three girls: Reiley, Chloe and Bailey.