Monday, June 16, 2008

More Book Club Questions

Alright... So far, here are the suggested books I've pulled from the comments. If you have others in mind please let me know!!

* A Thousand Splendid Suns
* Persian Pickle Club

I know a bunch of us have read different Jodi Picoult books (19 minutes, Plain Truth, My Sister's Keeper) and I'm wondering what you girls think of reading books like that for book club? I know some of them have a little bit of foul language so I didn't know what your thoughts are on reading those type of books. To be completely honest, I'm a speed reader, I skim books so more often than not, I don't realize there is swearing unless someone else points it out to me... I know that not everyone is that way and I don't want to choose or suggest books that will offend anyone, so let me know what your thoughts are! And of course, keep suggesting books.

I think for now we will all read "These Is My Words" in June, to discuss in July, so we have a little bit of time, but the faster we can come up with a list the better, so we can all get on the waiting list for the books!

Happy Reading everyone!

5 comments:

Liz said...

I have read Persian Pickle but enjoyed it. I don't mind being in on the discussion or re-reading books I've already read.

I would guess that Splendid Suns also has some questionable content based on the Kite Runner so I'm okay with books like Jodi Picoult's. I know it's hard to judge, but I just don't like books that are "rated R". There are a few books out there that I regret finishing! :)

Bethany said...

I just finished Splendid Suns and it's not quite as R-rated as the Kite Runner, but you're right, it has some disturbing material. I was emotionally drained, but very glad I read it. It really opened my eyes to the struggles of women in war-torn Afghanistan.

Aubreydoll said...

I guess one book that I would also suggest would be Midwives by Chris Bohjalian.

One book that I really enjoyed (if anyone's interested) but probably wouldn't suggest for an LDS book club would be The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I really loved the story the there were some parts in it that I didn't think were necessary.

Just thought I'd put that out there!

Liz said...

I know Claire's already read it and a big fan but I'm intrigued by PS I love you. That may be a good one to put on the list.

Stephanie said...

I read a Thousand Splendid Suns. My personal feeling was that it is the way it is because it has to be, to portray how life was for those women. With that said however, it does have material that is difficult to read, especially when you have a daughter. I agree with Bethany. I'm not sorry I read it, but it was a tough one!