Friday, June 20, 2008

Play Dough recipe

I made play dough for the first time with my 20 mos old this week, and it was a huge hit! I wasn't sure if she would be old enough, but she definitely was. After all, you don't have to be very old to make a mess! And actually, as far as the mess factor goes- it wasn't bad at all. Super easy clean up and no staining! I even enjoyed it. I would be intently shaping animals and stuff, without even realizing it! Anyway, there are tons of simple recipes out there. I just looked for one that I already had the ingredients for, and found one in a recipe book one of my previous wards had compiled. A couple of you gals requested the recipe on my personal blog, so I thought I'd just post it for all of you!

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups salt
5 tbsp. cream of tartar
3 cups water
4 tbsp oil
(I added food coloring to make it a fun color)

Mix ingredients in pan on medium heat, and stir until thick. Cool on cookie sheet.

I know there's lots of fun recipes out there for things like "flubber" or silly putty, or even different kinds of playdough. Feel free to share if you have one you love!

5 comments:

Linz said...

THANK YOU!!!

Lindsey said...

I had to make this recipe all the time when I taught elementary art, and I hated how expensive the cream of tartar was! It seemed like you needed half a jar to make 1 recipe. Anyone have any suggestions of other ingredients to use?

Lindsey said...

Another fun thing to add is a kool-aid packet! It makes it smell really good and also adds color. It is fun for children to guess what scent it is. Play-dough can last in a ziploc in the fridge up to a week.

Stephanie said...

Ooh, good suggestion Lindsey! I don't know anything cheaper, but one thing I was going to add was that you could cut the recipe down by a third, or even half. This made more than enough for one child to play with!

Julianne said...

Fun stuff!! Another fun (and cheap) thing to make is slime. We just use cornstarch, water and food coloring. Mix until you get the right consistency. It's also kind of a fun science project to talk about liquids/solids if you have a little bit older kids. My only suggestion--don't dump it down the drain. I don't think it would be very good for it!!